Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent hours watching my hives recently, and I have noticed that over 90% of the bees enter and exit the hive through the right half (as you look at the hive)of the entrance. It is unusual to see a bee enter on the left half of the entrance. Has anyone else noticed this, and does it mean anything?

The hives are elevated, with hive stands, varroa traps with drawers, 3/4" entrances, and slatted racks above the entrance.

G

·
I don't know if it means anything, but all 3 of my hives are the same way.....they each have a preferred side of entry. The side that they prefer to enter is the same side that my opening was on when I had the entrance reduced in the spring.

Dan

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Mine also use the same spot where the original entrance reducer had the opening. I believe it is because they scent the hive entrance as part of the initial orientation to the hive, then just maintain the same scenting pattern as new bees emerge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have two hives side by side that I had the entrance reducer opening oriented on opposite sides this spring(one on the right, one on the left) but when fully open both prefer to enter and leave from the right side. However the morning sun strikes the both of these hives on the right side of the entrance first. I thought maybe that was why they preferred this side. I also thought that if I told anyone that I had noticed this they would think I spent WAY too much time watching my bees.
Glad I'm not the only one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts