Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is the time of year for questions, thoughfull or stupid. Anyway; as to entrances: has anyone, on a lang. set-up, one or two deeps over a bottom-board with an entrance then supers, placed a 3/8" shim on 3 sides between the deeps and the supers and when: scratch:

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
If I'm understanding your description, it sounds like you've simply created an upper entrance. If that's what you mean, sure...plenty have done it. I use shims (four sides), with a hole in one side that can be plugged. The shim is handy to create extra space for pollen patties, etc., and the bees sometimes use the upper entrance. Sometimes they propolis it shut. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ravenseye: That is what I'am talking about, an upper entrance, except between the main body(s) and the supers, as you noted it would be nice for feeding.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also use a 1 1/2" shim but during the flow I drop down a 3/8" shim, otherwise you will get a great crop of burr comb.There are no "stupid" questions. there are only more experienced people than others. You can't believe what I see when I deal with new beeks. The first thing new beeks need to do is read,read,read (BEFORE)your bees come in. Everything else comes in time. I help a lot of people and if they don't even care enough to read, it really aggravates me

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you keep a empty, drawn honey super above the shim you won't have any problems with burr comb but you will have to stay on top of it and maintain that empty capacity above the shim.

A less labor intensive solution would be to simply offset the supers 3/8" front to back when the flow is going hot and heavy. Close them back up after the flow is over to avoid robbing.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
raosmun, George Imirie had a great deal to say about shims, having designed and used one himself for decades. Check out his "Pink Pages" (unfortunately he's deceased, but pages have been posted) and read his description of how best to use shims.... As the hive grows, he uses more than one.
Good luck!
Steven

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
:scratch:There is a LOT of material to read! I will get through it in time. However; can you give me a refference article(s) to start with? I did not see a reference to shims or entrances in the indexs I found.
thanks

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raosman, here's the link to George Imirie's Pink Pages. the article by him on the proper use of the shims is August 1999 Pink Pages.
http://pxbacher.home.comcast.net/~pxbacher/PinkPages/index.html
have fun!
Steven
Steven: thanks :thumbsup: cleared up a lot of questions I had!! I will continue to read more of Mr. Imrie's writings.
P.S. I am an adjunct college prof. in a mechanical area and well understand the value of read,read,read, but sometimes things get a little muddled (pending ones mind set), so asking questions and learning from someones experience is a whole lot easier than learning from the school of hard knocks!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Generally less costly and painful too! :lpf:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had cutout a colony from a barn wall and put it into two deeps the previous summer. The bees built burr and brace comb galore and I wasn't able to move a thing.

In early spring I removed the outer and inner covers and put two thin sticks along the front edge of the top deep. Above this I placed a deep of comb with honey in the outside positions. Then I added one checkerboarded medium and put a medium of drawn on top.

I wouldn't see them again until July. At that time they appeared to have the majority of their brood in the third deep with some in the second deep. 95% of the bees were using the upper entrance.

They didn't build that much burr comb but I only put shims on the front.
-------------
Everybody likes to tell their stories. I'm just one of everybody.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The way I've been creating an upper entrance is by putting 3/8 slats on sides & back above the excluder. I let the slats stick out the front a few inches and attach a 1/4 board under them for an alighting board. I leave it open all year long for ventilation. I want to start attaching the slats permanantly to the excluder so it's easier to take on & off. Is this a good or bad way to do it?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Raosman, here's the link to George Imirie's Pink Pages. the article by him on the proper use of the shims is August 1999 Pink Pages.
http://pxbacher.home.comcast.net/~pxbacher/PinkPages/index.html
have fun!
Steven
Steven: Thanks again!! Geroge Imirie (one opinionated SOB, I think he would agree)!! Anyway: I found answers to entrances and (another post) useing new frames and other questions. Have read most of his wrightings, now I need to adjust to NW OH conditions! IE: cherry blossom in D.C. is at least a month betore here! He writes and notes what is done in the mid-alantic states is different than in the lower great lakes as it is in other climate zones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts