Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have all my hives facing to the South. I have run out of room to go wider, so am going to make another row of hive stands. Would you put another row of hives in front of these, facing to the South also, or would you face them at the others, facing North? How far apart should I leave the rows of hives?

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
You can put them as close together as allows you to get in and work them. Could you get more in your area by facing colonies east and west? That allows the summer sun to hit both entrances early.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Vance! My first group of hives face south to protect against the Winter wind, out of the Northwest. I may try some east or southeast facing as that should work just as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I face mine to the East or South. I want the sun on the face of the hive ASAP to get the bees started. Never North. West will let cold air on face of hive and take longer to warm up in Spring. Just my two cents worth. Pembroke

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
How far apart should I leave the rows of hives?
If they are stacked together try to go 10 ft. If there is separation between the hives you have now you can go less. I would say the biggest problem is in winter when the sun is low.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I currently have all my hives facing to the South. I have run out of room to go wider, so am going to make another row of hive stands. Would you put another row of hives in front of these, facing to the South also, or would you face them at the others, facing North? How far apart should I leave the rows of hives?
I made a thread for that topic today already. Look for " south or east" as the topic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I found a tree full of bees the other day. The opening was to the North. Seems the bees didn't really care which side the door was on. They sure didn't want me in front of it!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Back when my bees weren't on pallets yet I had hives set in rows which were 6 feet or so one behind the other. Sometimes staggering the space between the hives in the front row so hives in the back row faced those spaces. If that makes sense.

I liked having two hives close beside each other so I could work one from hive from one side and the other hive from the other side. Then there was enough space between the first set and the second set to turn around and bend over w/out my butt bumping into the other hives.

All of my hives are palletized, so half face one way and half face opposite. If you are really cramped for room, you could have one row facing south and the other row back to back facing north. The bees will be fine. Do what's most convenient to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts