Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used 2 in a couple of nucs I had at a friends house worked fine for me. Bought 5 more for this year.
The feeder in Kelley's catalog looks like it may have been made by Motherlode Plastics. Randy Oliver calls them a "Cadillac".
Motherlode also makes a insert for theirs with 2 perforated plastic tubes to reduce drownings.
I see that Kelley does not offer the insert but you can get the from Motherlode or B&B Honey Farm.

Happy Beekeeping

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have some of these feeders but don't like them for you have to open the hive in cold weather to feed I like hive top better, That way it is not open very long my nest best one is the baggie type feeder. then front entrance type which is only good in warm weather.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have tried several different brands of these. The newer models are more rigid so they don't bulge out when filled; it looks like this Kelley one is like that. Drowning is a problem. The bees will build comb in them and the queen will lay in them if you don't get them out promptly when empty and done feeding. To me the advantages are you don't need an extra box like you do around the top feeder and you don't have to move the feeder if you're checking the hive. Still, I prefer the top feeder.

I've used some from Mann Lake and the last ones I bought were rigid enough and fit well in the box. Their new model (which I haven't tried) includes an anti-drowning "ladder" (which I haven't tried
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=1692&idCategory=

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
for you have to open the hive in cold weather to feed
FYI: Just push the hive cover over, pump in the syrup and push back the cover. No real loss of hive heat.
A strong hive can empty the feeder over night.
Ernie

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
359 Posts
This past year, I used the hive top feeders from Mann Lake. They have the screened area in the middle with syrup holding areas on either side.They work good in warm weather, but not at all in cold weather. The bees will build burr comb under them. It easy to just pop the top cover and pour syrup in.

From what I've read, the type of feeder you use depends on what time of year you are having to feed. With hive top or division board feeders, bees won't break cluster in cold weather to travel to feeder. This year, I'm switching to migratory covers with jar or bucket feeders.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have 5 hives with the DivisonFrame feeders and I like them but I use Migatory covers. This wayI don't need to lift it .Just remember which side it is on. Also I have a piece of capped PVC pipe in them that flots in the syrup

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Mother Lode with cap and ladders work very well. I have never had the bees draw any comb in them. If using a flat cover make sure there is enough room for the bees to get inside the feeder from the top. The only problem I have had is some bees will propolize the ladder when the feeders are empty making it difficult to feed. I leave them in all year. I have found them holding water in hives that didn't have a leaky top cover. The only thing I could figure out is the bees put the water in there themselves but that doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's neat.

"Also I have a piece of capped PVC pipe in them that floats in the syrup"

I wonder how the bees do in a log rolling contest ?

Just bought a couple of them and also got 2 screens each. The single screen looked pretty simple. I'll zig-zag the screens width wise (1-1/4") to create a lot more feeding area.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i started out with hive top feeders but moved to frame feeders for several reasons. the hive top are nice to get a lot of syrup to the girls quick and you don't have to worry about suiting up but i also find that the temperature has to be warmer for the bees to move up which can sometimes be critical when you are trying to save a colony during winter.

i like frame feeders since i can leave them in year round so they don't take up storage space, its more accessible to the bees and you can place right next to the cluster if needed. they are also significantly cheaper. you do have to worry about some protection depending on when you slide the top over to feed but the advantages are worth it in my opinion. i run about 25-30 hives which also influences my decision. the storage space/cost attributes become more important the more hives you have.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I like the division board feeders also. I also use migratory covers and just slide it over to fill the feeder, no big deal at all. I put a piece of wood or twigs or styrofoam in them to help the bees along. Though from my experience, when you have an abundance of drowned bees in the feeder the colony is sick. A good healthy colony will not have any way near the drownings as a sick one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts