Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in central Texas and am curious about the types of hive configurations most people use here. I have seen a lot of two deep brood boxes and a medium super. Is that fairly standard?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
That is a "standard" configuration Eric. Matt is correct that you have better options when working with boxes all the same size; however most use mediums for supers because they are easier to handle when full of honey. If you run all the same size, it allows you to move up a frame of brood up to get them to draw out more frames. You can conversely move a frame of honey down if needed. J

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Ideally use all the same size frames for both brood boxes and supers. It makes it a lot easier to manage hives in the long run.
That is purely a matter of opnion.

In my opinion, use deeps for brood boxes, mediums for honey supers. Always put supers above an excluder and you'll never have cocoons in the honey supers. different strokes for different folks....

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have moved towards Deeps for hive bodies and mediums for honey suppers because I find it much easier to keep things separated for treatments. I always know that none of my drawn honey frames have ever been on the hive during mite treatments.
Just my .02

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you only have a couple hives, go all one sized frame. I would go with all mediums if you are concerned about weight (I use all deeps personally, but don't care about weight). But having just ONE sized frame is so much easier as you don't have to keep buying extra of this or that. Everything is swappable if you want something (say you break a frame) and you don't have to keep stocks of each. But if you go to deeps and mediums, then you have to deep frames, deep foundation, medium frames, medium foundation. Want to open up the broodnest, where are you going to put that extra frame as it won't fit in the top box. Just easier when everything matches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts