Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I'm thinking of buying to start out: solid bottom board(cold seasons), screened BB(hot seasons), 2 deeps(brood), 3 medium supers(honey), inner & outer covers. Haven't made up my mind about the excluder.
My question is, and I know it will be HIGHLY variable, are 3 medium supers enough for northern MI? I realize some colonies will do better than others and some will use 4-5 supers and others none but if I have 30 supers for 10 hives am I in danger of running out in midflow? That's my real worry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a noob, I can say that the sheer volume of space taken up by things not actually stacked as a hive, is surprising to say the least. For me, that translates to having less 'different' things, so I went with all 8 frame mediums. I keep enough boxes and frames assembled for current conditions, and a bunch unassembled standing by if I need them all of a sudden.
I dont think you will be into changing bottom boards to suit the season, so pick one and go with it. Screens are easier to close off if you want to stop the breeze, not to mention the ability to check for mites etc. (I am in FL, so any space I can't air condition gets screened)
The excluder, if you find you need it, will most likely be needed right then, so you might as well buy one to have on hand. I keep a couple around just in case. Plan on an extra box on top for feeding, and have a method on hand ready to stop robbing, as it will not wait for you to scrounge up or order a new 'thing'.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am in grand rapids but we get our share of winter. 2 deeps can be enough if you have the weight. In honey that is. Last winter I did 2 deeps and 1 medium. Plus I gave them sugar cakes. They hardly touched the honey in the supers and it was heck of a winter. Your key is weight not space.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
I would either buy the solid or the screened with some kind of tray. I would not waste your money on one of each. I would get all mediums (actually I'd get 8 frame mediums and appropriate covers and bottoms) and no deeps. First because it's much simpler to have all the same size frames and boxes:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#uniformframesize

And second, I don't like to lift 90 pound boxes.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#lighterboxes

It's always nice to have a excluder around for this and that even if you don't routinely use it.

>if I have 30 supers for 10 hives am I in danger of running out in midflow?

Yes, but you can always harvest if you can't get more right away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.