Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some honey supers leftover from last year that still have capped honey on them but were frames that only were partially filled here and there and just not suitable for extraction. It's too stiff to really do anything with and its collected dust so we don't want to eat that old honey but just feed it to the bees if that's ok.
I just stacked up those old honey supers in one large stack 5 supers high about 40 feet from the hives and those bees are really swarming around it. Hopefully they are not fighting over it but it's a pretty good cloud of bees out there in the middle of the day working on those last year hives I assume they are eating or gathering up the old honey.
Anyone's advice as to whether this is a good way to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've done that but always had a good deal of fighting and dead bees afterwards so I just uncap it and insert it behind a follower board to the weaker hives minimize the entrance to discourage robbing and I'm done

·
Registered
977 Posts
many years after extracting I place all my empty supers out in a field to clean up the mess, yes some bees die but for the amount of cleaning they do it is minimal... remember if there is approx. 60,000 bees in a summer hive 100 dead bees around a feeding frenzy isn't much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts