Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use three medium 8 frames for my brood boxes. About mid march I did my first inspection and as best I could I got the queen as low in the order without breaking up the brood. Most of my queens were in the 3rd box but a few were in the 2nd. I went today to do an inspection with the thought that I would do another reversal for those that I couldn't get all the way to the bottom and if the ones that I could needed it again I would do those too. Well it appears that most of my queens reversed themselves to some degree because in some hives I found eggs,larvae and capped brood in 2 or three boxes from top down. My mentor believes in reversing every 3-4 weeks (swarm control) but I have found that the queen lays wherever there is an open spot making a true reversal hard to do. I never spotted the queen in any of the 9 hives today. I was going off egg, larvae and capped.
Am I being to technical?
What are some of your thoughts? Do you even worry about it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't reverse at all. By the time spring buildup is in full swing I'll have brood from top to bottom.

They set their broodnest up the way they want it. I figure they know more about such matters than I do.
Woody Roberts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I've always tried to let them do their thing like they like it and I think i'm going to let hive body reversal fall by the wayside. Maybe just do it the first time in the spring to get the queen back down to the bottom but that's it. My thought process and methods are continuing to evolve.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I run mediums and stopped reversing, seems like I was wasting the bees time , and mine. I tried going with 3 boxes for brood and ended up settling with four boxes. My queens like that fourth box, in the spring I have even had a couple laying in the fifth box.

·
Registered
213 Posts
we just take the bottom box out ,we use mediums, it is always empty, they have things set up the way they want at that time, brood and food,and not an empty box in between,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pete,N3SKI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts