Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last year I only had about 5 or 6 frames to get honey out of and this year I have 7 supers. I am not sure if this was in another thread but I am curious if it is normal to find a few hive beetles in the supers. The honey wasn't infected but I did find about 5-6 on a couple of them and I am curious if this is something that I should worry about. I am not 100% sure which hive they came out of but thought I would get some advice from some of those more experienced than I.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It is normal to find SHB just about any place inside of hives that are afflicted by them. The bees run them to the top of the hives in a lot of cases and pin them in. That is as long as it's a strong hive. If it's a weak one, well the SHB will take over in most cases. I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just do not let the supers sit around unextracted for long. If the few you saw laid eggs, they will hatch and then begin to slime stuff up.

Congrats on the harvest

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am getting the honey off this week. Do the eggs affect the honey or is it just the comb? Thanks though for the info.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The eggs are not a problem as long as they don't hatch. The larva can mess the honey up. SHB do not destroy comb directly, but their excretement ruins the honey and can be diffictt to clean off the combs and frames. If not cleaned well it is a beacon to other SHB that says we own this hive and are having a block party, come on over.

The bees will remove eggs before they hatch, but after you have the supers off and the bees are no longer there to get rid of eggs it is a problem. It does not take many larva to make a mess. Best to extract within 2 days of pullin the supers to avoid the possibility.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I no longer remove supers that I cannot extract within twentyfour hours. I'd listen to jb......get that honey out....soon!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I no longer remove supers that I cannot extract within twentyfour hours. I'd listen to jb......get that honey out....soon!
If you have to wait longer go through all the supers and pull out any frames with brood and freeze them ASAP!
Hive beetles in 100% honey frames won't do much damage but any brood in the supers will quickly become a mess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts