Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions. I recently went out to just check on how my hives were doing by visually looking on the outside. I noticed two things! One was I noticed a lot of flies around one hive. I don't know if this is normal or not. Second, I also saw a lot of hive beetles actually flying around my hives. I have beetle blasters, as well as tarp that is underneath my hives (which I'm thinking about removing because no matter now tight I try to make it, water seems to collect under there) I spread lime around the hives on the ground (since it has rained it seemed to make it more compact to where bugs can walk freely over it) as well as salt and some salt in the grooves of the hive bodies. What else can be done besides an outside trap? Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Islandgirl,
I have found that keeping a healthy colony is the best defense against just about anything the bees will encounter. If your hive is strong, they will keep the SHB at bay, you will probably never be able to completely eradicate them, but you can keep them tolerable, or better yet, your bees can. I believe if you keep doing what your doing, your bees should stay on top of things (just my opinion of course, I'm no expert), both the SHB and Varroa mite count will fall as the season comes to a close. Hope everything stays cool with you and your bees. Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the info! Unfortunately, one of my hives does appear to be weak and that hive is the one that seems to have more SHB. Both of them were Nucs that were installed on May 19. I have been feeding them syrup with Honey B Healthy and am hoping this will help them to make more brood so we will see. I did know that weaker hives are more susceptible however at this point with being new to bee keeping, I am literally just playing everything by ear and trying out everything I have heard that works.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...Any suggestions would be great..." keep the empty space to a minimum. use a follower board and just add 1 frame at a time, when they need it. the theory is, crowded bees control/guard their space easier. good luck,mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Mike! I recently found out today why the hive that is susceptible is much weaker and seems to have more SHB. It was queen less! Ugh!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts