Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did inspection today to find an ungodly amount of SHB just under the hive top and in the frame rests and mountains of bees trying with all their might to get them I have been using 2 types of beetle traps with that may only catch 5 a week, then I noticed that in the bottom brood box the bees have chewed/gnawed 3 frame all the back to original wax foundation and are 1/3 of the way on a 4th what is up with that other then that I have tons of bees no mites and healthy brood pattern and growing honey stores

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sounds like something robbers will do. Are you sure they haven't been robbed? It is that time of year when robbing behavior rears it's ugly head.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I noticed that in the bottom brood box the bees have chewed/gnawed 3 frame all the back to original wax foundation and are 1/3 of the way on a 4th
I commonly see this in hives with heavy shb loads. The beetles crawl into empty cells to escape the bees and the bees will chew out the comb to reach them.
PS.....you do have mites.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to use chemical treatment but if it keeps getting worse I'll be forced to either let the nature run its course or use chemicals

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have had them chew down the wax and empty the brood getting at shb. When tearing down comb-- they are also trying to clean the larva and shb eggs out not just get at adult beetles. In my experience for me it has not been a good sign as collapse was right around the corner.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Never had to do battle with those kind of SHB numbers. What happens if you move the hive a short distance and shake the frames off outside a new hive in the same location? Can you leave any significant # of beetles behind?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I have done is doubled down on traps got new better ones with bait on the way took the medium super I had on top that was only half drawn with drone comb off (that's where 85% of the beetles were colleting) put a entrance reducer since I noticed slower bee traffic I figured that would give beetles less space to hide and give the bees a chance to fight them off, it all started with a wood bound queen excluded that had a space where the beetles were able to hide don't but brushy mountain wood bound excluders

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Nathan, I think most of the woodbound queen excluders have this problem. When I first started keeping bees I got from Rossman, they had the same issue...the slot in the wood was like a turnpike for the beetles to travel on. I only had the excluders on for a couple of weeks before I took them off...been without excluders ever since. Also slatted racks seem like they would be attractive to shb...I bought a couple figuring they would be good in the south Alabama heat but after building them I saw the possibility of shb enjoying all those nooks and crannies and never put them under the hives.

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts