Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my first hive from Dadant. The two deep hive bodies that I ordered came with no instructions. It was pretty self-explanatory and I have everything assembled except for I'm a bit stumped by the long L-shaped metal doo-dads that, from what I've been able to gather, are meant to protect the frame rest.

It may be hard to describe but how exactly are those meant to go in there? It seems like no matter how I seat them they either stick out from the edge of the frame rest or they are in such a way that the nails provided seem like they're way too long and would come out the side of the box.

If anyone could shed light on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

-Paula

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You can use the 5/8" long small nails to attach the 2 L-shaped frame supports inside the hive box! I build my own equipment and it seems to work just fine for myself! This way here they wont go through the box! Good Luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, y'all....I think I get it now. They must fit over the bump rather than into the "L"....and the nails would go in perpendicular to the thick part of the wall of the hive, right?. (I hope I'm explaining this clearly).

5/8" nails would make much more sense. The nails they sent are 1 1/4" long :eek:. Longer, of course, than the wall of the hive is thick. It doesn't surprise me, though as the set of nails they sent for my bottom board were somewhat innapropriate too.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining...It's just that the combination of no instructions and too long nails confused me as to what I needed to do. Overall, I was very pleased with the quality of my order and I believe they sent plenty of extra nails w/ my top cover that will work quite nicely for my frame rests. :)

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
You got it right! I have rests on some of my boxes. When you get a lot of hives, you'll do without them. You can also make your own from some sheet metal that you can buy at the hardware store if you need to in a pinch. I've also use an air stapler set on a light setting to secure the rests. It saves time and some banged up fingers!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your responses. The hive is now completely assembled (except for the frames) and painted...ready for spring.

Adrien and Raven, I do believe you when you say that the metal frame rests aren't real important but they were provided for me...so I've installed them come hell or high water....pure stubborness on my part. :eek:

Maybe some day I'll find a better use for them...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Cicada,

They were really good for me as a beginner because it made me space frames correctly(even though some advanced beekeepers would say that it makes you space them somewhat incorrectly). If you don't have very close to the same spacing between frames when using foundation, the bees will problably not draw the comb correctly (for us humans). Then when you lift frames out to check the hive, you will kill lots of bees. Neither the bees nor you will like that at all.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hey Paula, you mentioned you had painted your boxes. I saw a tip on beesource recently that said when the paint is dry rub a little vaseline between the bottom of one deep and the top of another and they won't stick together. I like that tip. When I assembled and painted my first boxes they stuck together almost as good as if I'd glued them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adrian, against the advice of more than one person (for the very issue you mentioned) I did paint the edges.

I mixed the paint with some primer so it has more of a rough feel to it than a tacky one and it will have 7+ months to cure so I'm hoping it'll be ok but, thank-you, I do feel better about it knowing I have a trick up my sleeve!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts