Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I placed two packages of bees Friday just before all the storms hit here in Alabama with no problems.

Checked on them today and all seemed to be ok except that one hive does not seem to be as active as the other hive.

Hive one has lots of bees coming and going while the other does not.

One reason might be that I used old frames with new wax in one while in the other I used all new frames and new wax.

Both are in old supers with old bases and old tops

Do you thank the inactive hive is just cleaning up before they venture out or could there be something else wrong.

I submerged all the old frames and washed out all the supers with boiling water before I placed my girls.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
One of my two hives started slow too. I think they were happy to just sit inside while it was cool out.

Today it warmed up to 60 and both hives were very active.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've also been curious about what normal activity looks like, right after installing new packages. Yesterday I hived two four-lb packages. Each one was put into two medium 8-frame boxes, with top feeders. I'm using all Kelley's foundationless frames.

Today there's been lots of activity, though the bees don't seem to be venturing very far away yet. (Most of the flights seem to be short ones, not more than 15 feet away or so. ) I'm assuming they're orienting themselves. I don't really see bees outside fanning, although I did see some of that at the end of yesterday.

One hive sounds quieter than the other, and I'm wondering if it means that that hive has released and accepted its queen...I won't check til three days after installation. I'm hoping this is all normal behavior.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If it helps any, I hived 4 packages a week ago today. One hive definatly has more bees than the other 3 (I suspect drifting) and is also the most active hive of the 4. But I have noticed that the stronger hive gets busier earlier and the others are busier at different times of the day. Each hive seems to be on it's own schedule and the number of bees coming and going from each hive veries greatly throughout the day.

Blueline

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.