Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, the History Channel is running a program on Africanized bees. Tune in if you can.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it turns out it's a MonsterQuest program, but interesting anyway.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
yell i seen that thay say thay are getting uest to the cold .will be liveing up north soon .thay show them to be up to the mason dixie line now. (i beleave it to i seen it on my tv.)

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yell i seen that thay say thay are getting uest to the cold .will be liveing up north soon
Yes, they do appear to be highly adaptable to changes in their environment. I thought the show was a little on the dramatic side, but that's how the MonsterQuest series always is.:)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i love MONSTERQUEST and watch every episode. i keep hoping my ex is gonna show up... seriously though, thanks for the heads up. i will be watching for.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i love MONSTERQUEST and watch every episode.
We do too, and it's even better now that they have stopped searching for bigfoot (although I like stuff like that too:)) and are now doing programs about known species that can cause problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I watched 90% of this program and IT WAS VERY VERY SLANTED:no: Basically they led the viewer to believe that if your hive gets any AHB genes they will be un-manageable and become a monster! They claimed AHB will some day live all the way to Alaska! They were beating on the side of hives and ripping them apart with out taking any normal actions like a regular beek would do. Very poor show and just shows how mass media will control views of the unsuspecting masses:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watched 90% of this program and IT WAS VERY VERY SLANTED:no: Basically they led the viewer to believe that if your hive gets any AHB genes they will be un-manageable and become a monster!
Yes, it was slanted, because it is MonsterQuest. I never heard them say that AHB genes will make them become monsters, but the public does need to be aware (imo) about AHB's. Like I said, it was a bit dramatic, but they had some good information about the history of AHB migration, differences between AHB and European bees, and the dangers of them (and there are some dangers to the general uneducated population).

·
Registered
51 Posts
The part I found interesting was the obvious AHB's and chasing them 3/4 of a mile. Then later they went to the mountain hive under the lumber pallet. They casually put their beesuits on and AFTER unstacking a load of wood from the pallet, a handful of bees started flying and they said "Oh my look how aggressive these are!"

There was an obvious difference in bee attitudes there and they lumped them all in the same bunch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When they went to the wood pile and started moving the wood about I knew then the bees were no AHB. Because one of the things that they do is to send out guard bees when you get within 25 feet of their hive to defend their hive. Also the woman who was doing the wing measurements failed to mention that the feral small cell bee has virtually the same identical wing pattern and measurements. The only real way is to do a DNA gene sequence.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, it was slanted, because it is MonsterQuest. I never heard them say that AHB genes will make them become monsters, but the public does need to be aware (imo) about AHB's. Like I said, it was a bit dramatic, but they had some good information about the history of AHB migration, differences between AHB and European bees, and the dangers of them (and there are some dangers to the general uneducated population).
Uh, a bit dramatic???? And good information on AHB migration???? Sir, have you read Dewey Caron's book on AHB in the Americas? I respectfully disagree this program did not have "good information" about the migration.

Pardon me for being a little melodramatic, but the slant was tabloid-esque, crude, unresearched, propagandistic, and quite honestly, a disgustingly lame attempt at sensationalistic humorless hyperbole. I argue a program like that sets back public understanding in a damaging way. Very offensive.

It offended me because of all the careful steps I make, personally, to educate my community that honeybees are not killer hornet-like "waspoids." "Giant killer bees???" "Giant swarms?" Com'on guys (Monsterquest), way to throw the honeybee under the bus. Why don't you do without that 3rd bite of food that you eat, since the evil honeybee's pollination helped provide it for ya.

Listen, the public needs to be aware of AHB, not terrified out of their wits about ahb. And another thing, History Channel...THEY'RE CALLED AFRICANIZED BEES, NOT KILLER BEES!:pinch:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Listen, the public needs to be aware of AHB, not terrified out of their wits about ahb.
And another thing, as ahb moves north into colder climes, AND they CAN adapt to that, then guess what???? They can also be selectively bred for less defensive behavior.

If they can adapt to cooler temps, they can ALSO adapt to become gentler. Not a myth, a MUST. AHB is coming --- get used to it. When your grandchildren are in their 70s, this will be the only race of bee in North America, clear up to the Canadian border & beyond. The challenge is on us today to figure out how to make a gentle African bee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are 7 counties in Arkansas where AHBs have survived for the past 3 years-- an isolated population. Arkansas gets pretty cold. If the AHB can make it there, they can make it most anywhere in the Continental U.S.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Typically 99% of any Tv show that talks about AHB or honeybees in general has a lot of misconstrued facts. They have to play it up to keep people watching. To add to the statement about the wing measurement and dna testing. I read somewhere that even in DNA testing it's real difficult to rule out the aggressive genes but it is a more definitive test than the wing test. One good thing is that have a resistance to mites. There is a good side to everything, however I will not requeen with a AHB for mite resistance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Fear, blood and guts and how many women Tiger woods applied the Nike motto to are what gets ratings. Ratings equals advertisers/sponsors equals money. Media prostitutes are only interested in money, not facts.

I've kept bees in the TX panhandle for three years now... a branded AHB area. I have yet to see or encounter an AHB swarm or colony. They are not taking over the world as the media would have you believe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts