Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hillco honey extractor

5567 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  coalsmok
Does anyone have positive/negative info regarding the Hillco 3/9 motorized radial honey extractor. The price is attractive and quality seems to match other companies with 20 ga stainless steel. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,767 Posts
I have no experience with this extractor or the company, but I looked over their website and the pricing and quality look good. 20 gauge S/S is heavy duty, same as Maxant, The extractor seems similar to the 3100P but more affordable and able to do three additional medium frames. Please post a review of this extractor after you purchase and use it.

· Registered
4 hives
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I received my 9 frame radial extractor and had a chance to use it for extracting four medium frames of honey and so far so good. John at Hillco has been great customer service wise as the first extractor arrived damaged during shipping and he had another shipped, and threw in a large smoker for my troubles, before I sent initially one back. I would definitely recommend checking out hillco for your bee needs and I will be ordering other items from hillco.

· Registered
2,109 Posts
John let me borrow one to try out this year and see how it does and film it. Personally, I think John's customer service is awesome and their smokers are the best thing since the dadant.

Reactions: shakenbake68

· Registered
2 then 4, now 11 hives- all doing well, thanks to a lot of help and resilient bees!
1,039 Posts
John let me borrow one to try out this year and see how it does and film it. Personally, I think John's customer service is awesome and their smokers are the best thing since the dadant.
Did you do a video on the Hillco??? I'm considering one and have not found much on them. Would love to see a review

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Did you do a video on the Hillco??? I'm considering one and have not found much on them. Would love to see a review
I wasn't able to review it due to shortages at the time and a TN customer came and picked it up from me. However, I have many friends who have one and love them. For the price they are hard to beat THill. I have been around every model they carry and they seem made well.

· Registered
2 then 4, now 11 hives- all doing well, thanks to a lot of help and resilient bees!
1,039 Posts
Thank you for that first-hand information Kamon. I really appreciate it. Hillco looks like the one I'll be getting, unless I happen to come across a crazy-good used machine before I buy.
I just sold my first honey, and am looking for the best deal on 200 medium frames. First things first, I need to get the honey first, and need frames to do that. So far, Dadant seems like the best deal by a little bit. Any suggestions where to buy?

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Coalsmok,
ACK!!! A day late. I already made my Dadant order.

Any issues getting the plastic frames drawn out? My mentor told me to use crimped wire wax foundation, so I did, and they draw it out fast. Some of the original plastic foundation that came with my hives still haven't gotten drawn out after 2 seasons of moving them around in the hives. The all-wax stuff all got drawn within days of being put on the hive.

That being said, I'm interested. I'm going to bookmark that page. I will need more frames, unless all my hives die. I might try some and see if they will take to it. Thanks for the link.

· Registered
66 Posts
Hillco actually builds them in Illinois [outsourced parts I`m sure] but I bought a starter model[e340] from John last fall. Happy with the build, much better than a China cheapy. It came damaged due to lousy shipping. John sent me replacement parts and $100.00 for my trouble. I`ll need a model with larger capacity soon and I won`t hesitate to buy one from him. This time I think I`ll road trip it to Illinois from Texas.

· Registered
158 Posts
Coalsmok,
ACK!!! A day late. I already made my Dadant order.

Any issues getting the plastic frames drawn out? My mentor told me to use crimped wire wax foundation, so I did, and they draw it out fast. Some of the original plastic foundation that came with my hives still haven't gotten drawn out after 2 seasons of moving them around in the hives. The all-wax stuff all got drawn within days of being put on the hive.

That being said, I'm interested. I'm going to bookmark that page. I will need more frames, unless all my hives die. I might try some and see if they will take to it. Thanks for the link.
I don’t really have any issue’s getting them drawn out. I order the double wax though and put them in during a flow or feed till they are drawn out if I’m starting a new box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.