1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
1:1 to build comb, 2:1 or HFCS for fall feeding

·
Registered
706 Posts
um corn syrup is a taboo. its a frankin food. the problem with corn syurp is this every cell of the corn plant has a pestiside in it. that pestiside does not get nor can it get removed so its in the syurp and your feeding poison syurp to your bees? unless your corn syurp comes from corn seeds not produced by monsanto or bristal myers or byer. or cargil. its in it. And so its cain sugar only for my girls.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
honeybeealex, as you can see there are many different opinions on every subject related to beekeeping, keep asking YOUR questions, use the search function on most any topic, research, then make an informed decision on which paths you choose to follow. Many beekeepers (commercial, hobby, and sideliners) successfully use both sugar and/or HFCS to stimulate, supplement, and provide winter food for their bees. Beekeeping is an "art" not a "science" and there are many different forms of "art", all can be successful. Determine your own "brushstrokes" based on ALL the information you recieve from the many different artists here and elsewhere. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I feed 2:1 sugar syrup as the 1:1 can spoil.
I prefer feeding C & H brand sucrose over sugar beet sucrose.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I fed HFCS for 20 years. 20 to 40 drums in the fall for winter feed. Never had a problem until...

HFCS degrades over time or with heat. Level of HMF builds up. Feed HFCS with high HMF levels and you'll kill your bees. I fed some HFCS I had stored for a year in drums in my shop. Killed most of my wintering nucs. Never again. I now feed only sucrose syrup and my nucs are wintering well on it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Some studies indicate that cane sugar has better nutritional value for the bees, than HFCS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I feed 2:1 sugar syrup as the 1:1 can spoil.
I prefer feeding C & H brand sucrose over sugar beet sucrose.
Add a dash of acetic acid, it will keep mold away and lower the pH to match honey's. Randy Oliver has written about this in ABJ. Smells like pickled herring though...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
is it ok to use "sugar in the raw"?
Raw sugar has lots of solids that make it difficult for the bees to process. Refined sugar is the best to use.

Sucrose is the organic compound commonly known as table sugar and sometimes called saccharose. This white, odorless, crystalline powder has a pleasing, sweet taste.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Honeybeealex- As "Peace" said, many opinions. The discussion either goes toward health or $$. My opinion only, is if neeeded I feed 1:1 sugar. I leave stores on for winter feeding, but I don't make my living through honey production. The cost for a commercial to feed sugar would bankrupt them.

I keep bees for pure pleasure, and make enough to pay for my grandchildren's education. If you are just starting out, try both in different yards and keep copious notes, then you make the call. If I fed you cat food all winter, you would live, but not be the most healthy critter compared to most.

MP gave a good explanation of things to be aware of with HFCS. What I am not sure of, is long term health. For me, I am sort of a purist I guess. Old fashioned type of person. The jury is still out on long term effects of diet not natural to the bees.

I can only share from my experience and those close to me who are keepers. One such person suffers 50% loss every year but can afford to keep buying bees, which is great for the breeders. They rob 100% of honey and feed. I do not know if the losses are just because of the diet, but I am positive the diet attributes to the losses in some form.

Kind regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Id say that for health of the bees sucrose would be better.But if you want to save a couple bucks HFCS would be what you want. Like said earlier its all on what your plan is.

·
Registered
375 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts