Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm Alessandra
I've been into beekeeping now for 5 years (acquired my first colony about 3 years ago)
Mostly of what I've learned has been trough classes, speeches and internet (blogs, youtube..)
And at this point I would like to talk to other beekeepers about everyone experiences and how do you manage your colonies =)

I think that honey bees are fascinating, but unfortunate since I live in a urban area, I can't have them.
So far I've kept these 3 species:
Frieseomelitta varia
Tetragonisca angustula
Scaptotrigona bipunctata

Currently I'm with Frieseomelitta varia and Tetragonisca angustula.

Well, I guess that's it. Looking foward to share experiences with everyone!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think that honey bees are fascinating, but unfortunate since I live in a urban area, I can't have them.
Allesandra:

Welcome to Beesource! I find other pollinator species fascinating, particularly those native to our locale that I often see working side-by-side their imported brethren.

Are you able to maintain these South American species in a sustainable fashion or do you have to re-import every year?

I imagine studying these other social pollinators give you some insights into Western Honey Bees.

I will look forward to your contributions here.

Russ

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the welcome!!

Litsinger :
Are you able to maintain these South American species in a sustainable fashion or do you have to re-import every year?
I actually live in Brazil, so I don't need to import them at all!
And these species are fairly commom in urban areas (one of the reasons that I've picked them to keep).
If you're planning to keep few colonies, and it isn't a endangered species, you can actually set traps and capture young wild swarms freely.

I imagine studying these other social pollinators give you some insights into Western Honey Bees.
In some aspects, yes. In others, they are completely different!
For example, the Frieseomelitta varia ("Marmelade bee"), likes to build the brood cells in "bundles" not in combs (wich normally drives me crazy when I have to do maintenance, and try to avoid damaging it).

That's one of the reasons that I came to the forum, sometimes they're so different and got to a point that I wanted to see how everyone else manages and keeps them (wich I also finds amazing).
I'm already reading some of the threads here, but I can open a new thread and show a little bit of these south american species if you guys want it :)

Thanks everyone again!
Alessandra

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you for the images, I see from a search that these are stingless bees. Do they bite or inflict pain in any way? How large is the typical hive (estimated bee count and dimensions of equipment) how much honey is produced from one hive in an average year? Do they produce wax? Only one queen per hive I assume?
Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Ruggggus!
I answered your questions in the other thread, to avoid mix the threads =)

Have a great weekend!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts