Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, My name is Dennis and I am new to this forum. I grew up in Southern Oregon and had a few hives on our family farm there. I ended up leaving for the Army and 20+ years later i retired and settled in South Carolina. We got back into keeping bees a couple of years ago and currently have 6 hives. This will be my first year to try and over winter a 5 over 5 Nuc that is going gangbusters. I have received a ton of information on this forum and finally decided to join. Thanks for all the great info. that you all have shared.

Ranger N

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
This will be my first year to try and over winter a 5 over 5 Nuc that is going gangbusters.
Welcome to Beesource, Dennis. Glad to have you a part of the forum. I am in the same boat this year in trying to take some well-provisioned nucs into the Winter.

Best of success to you in your Winter preps.

Russ

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Welcome to Bee Source from west Alabama. Best of luck with the nucs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Russ, We are having a pretty good fall flow still rolling with golden rod and nettle i think
which is unusual, but we’ll take it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Greeting Denis, welcome to the forum. Your story sounds similar to mine. The family has a history of beekeeping going back into the 19th century, possibly farther. My grandfather owned a large commercial beekeeping operation with apiaries all over the state. By my teenage years I was helping summers and on weekends in the winter. I went off to college to pursue an engineering career. My grandfather passed. Career took me west to Salt Lake City. After several years off I got back in several years ago — but strictly as a hobby. Grandpa worked his butt off and had nothing. My son caught the beek bug, he's grown up now and there is now a new generation of beekeepers in the family legacy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JConnolly, thanks for the greeting. My grandson has started following me around the hives and is all excited about us putting together a 5x5 nuc that were are going to attempt to over winter for the first time and that will in turn be his come spring if all goes well. Like you, another generation of bee keepers to keep it rolling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts