Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a brand new beekeeper starting this spring. I have done tons of reading, joined a local bee club (have yet to attend a meeting, one is coming up), and taken Girl Next Door Honey's beekeeping class online! I am thrilled!

I am starting beekeeping with my dad, who has kept bees in years past (when he was young). They will be on his property.
We decided to start with one hive this year, and will for sure do more next year (I'm already wishing we would've done more).

Ordered all supplies from BeeThinking.com and have been impressed with their customer service and large amount of reviews.
Here's our set up:
8-Frame Langstroth hive, foundationless frames
2 deeps
2 medium supers
Ordered a nuc from a Wisconson beekeeper. I have asked him about what type of treatment he's using. How can I be sure I get a quality nuc and he doesn't take advantage of a new beek? I'm not terribly concerned with this as he was very helpful already.

Midwest beekeepers: do you suggest I get another deep? I have seen a few videos from the U of M showing 3 deeps, I'm not sure if my 2 medium supers make up for that. I am trying to reduce weight but it's not vital.
Also, where do you suggest I get small gloves? I have tiny hands and already know the ones I ordered will not allow me to manuever very well.

Another random question that's been rattling around in my brain.. how many drones will a queen mate with in her lifetime?

Thank you very much! :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome. I'm a short distance from you. Going into my second year.

... joined a local bee club (have yet to attend a meeting, one is coming up)
Where is your bee club?

I joined the Tri County Beekeepers in St. Cloud. It's a bit of a drive, but seem to have some experienced and helpful people. I understand there's one at the U, also, but I haven't joined that one.

We decided to start with one hive this year, and will for sure do more next year (I'm already wishing we would've done more).
Generally recommended to start with two so you can compare them as they grow. Potentially, you could make a split in mid summer and get a nuc or second hive. I did that last year, and very glad I did.

Ordered a nuc from a Wisconson beekeeper. I have asked him about what type of treatment he's using. How can I be sure I get a quality nuc and he doesn't take advantage of a new beek? I'm not terribly concerned with this as he was very helpful already.
I'd be more concerned about how the nuc was made. It's unlikely to be an overwintered nuc, and probably not a local queen. The nucs I bought turned out to be CA bees with an LA queen that was introduced only about 10 days prior, so not really a proven laying queen. I did have some problems with one.

Midwest beekeepers: do you suggest I get another deep? I have seen a few videos from the U of M showing 3 deeps, I'm not sure if my 2 medium supers make up for that. I am trying to reduce weight but it's not vital.
Also, where do you suggest I get small gloves? I have tiny hands and already know the ones I ordered will not allow me to manuever very well.
Yes, the U recommends 3 deeps. A lot of the keepers in the St. Cloud club only winter two deeps. I did 3 deeps.
Your two mediums would make up more than a deep, if you can get them to draw and fill it. You'll be feeding a lot this year.

For gloves, check out Fleet Farm and Runnings. They both carry some bee supplies. Prices are high, but not excessively. Mann Lake in Hackensack is a great supplier, with free shipping on $100 order. I bought some nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight which I'm going to try this year and the leather gloves are pretty cumbersome. They have various sizes. 50 gloves in a box for $10, I think.

Another random question that's been rattling around in my brain.. how many drones will a queen mate with in her lifetime?
I believe the general consensus on that is up to about 15 drones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts