Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thrilled to have found this forum! My name is Mike Weathers, I've been keeping bees here in North East Georgia going into the 4th season. I've learned alot through trial and error (mostly error) and really wish I had been here sooner. I'm looking foward to learning more about bees, reading about everyone's experinces, posting some of my own and making some new beekeeping friends.

I am a part time landscape contractor, would be nurseryman and a full time farmer. My wife and I own a farm and nursery in Greensboro that we are trying to get up and running. Till then we make ends meet with our 12 year old landscape business. We grow landscape plants and vegetables. The hives I had there have died, but I will be replacing this spring. Nucs already ordered. I have 2 other hives at 2 different locations in Loganville, both of which are doing great..despite SHB and mites (Checkmite + on hives now).

2010 goal is to increase to at least 10 hives between 3 yards by purchase, splits and capture. Hope to find some info here to help me achieve those goals. Look foward to meeting you on the forum!

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome. I'm not too far from you in Atlanta. I'm going into my second year as a beek. What do you think of our past season? Please tell me it's atypical! Otherwise, how did GA ever become a leading supplier?

Best wishes!
Claressa

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey Mike, Glad you found us. I am just south of you in Covington. Have property in Social Circle as well. W will have to hook up. If you need yards, lemme know, have a lot of offers on the table.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome! Nice to see some nearby folks too! I stayed up wayyy to late last night reading posts, and here I am again first thing this morning. This forum needs a warning label : Could be habit forming

Claressa, I had what I thought to be a pretty good year last season...it was only my 3rd season, but the first I was able to make a honey crop. We bottled a little over 50 pounds from 2 hives. My first 2 seasons were in the midst of the epic drought...that was brutal. Anyway you slice it, I am looking foward to this year for better things. I read about people bringing in 50 pounds from ONE hive, that's more like it! Great blog BTW!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts