Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to feed around thirty colonies. In the past I've used sugar made into heavy syrup, but that's a hassle to make in the amounts I want. Does anyone know a source for high fructose corn syrup in the North Texas area? I think I could go to Paris and get some at Dadant (at least seem to remember that they do that) but that's a five hour round trip for me. Getting a drum in Dallas/Fort Worth would be much closer (and I could take my wife out on the way)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
an open top 55 gallon drum with spigot at the bottom can be mixed up in about 10-15 minutes. In the back of a pick up or on a trailer with a hose attached you can gravity feed 30 hives with top feeders or internal frame feeders a gallon or more each in about a 45 minutes max. We fill our drums about 1/3 full with 140 f water and then pour sugar from 25 lb bags in and stir it in a circle with a 2x2 our drill mixer while the drum fills, pop the lid on and off to the yards. If you do find corn syrup it is important to make sure it is enzyme not acid processed.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
always taught not to feed corn syrup. mixing sugar with a little water and vinegar using a drill and drywall paddle works fast. pack it in pans and cut to squares. not much work in it. probably a lot cheaper then syrup as well.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A 55 gal drum with a small trolling motor,water,25# bags of sugar,turn it on and sit back and have a cold one while resting.Oh yeah the valve added to the drum on the bottom.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the ideas. I always end up buying the 4# bags cause the sugar is much cheaper that way. That and the hassle of mixing and heating water always makes me dread feeding. I was hoping for an easy button, buy a big drum of thick syrup and just feed it.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I spent some money this year on a plastic barrel, hf pump 90 bucks or so, and some piping to make it easier. mixed up 250 pounds pretty easily. I also cut in a hot water supply to my outdoor hose so i can flip a few shut off valves and i have 120 degree water in the mixing barrel. also nice for cleaning out stuff this time of the year up here when its cold. Depending on the time of year i either put the barrel on the truck and add everything there and then tie it down or put it into 5 gallon buckets. If you have a sump pump hanging around you can put it in a barrel on its side to do the mixing. hard to keep it on its side though.
i keep a costco memebership specifically for their 50 pound bags of sugar at 22.49

·
Registered
137 Posts
I spent some money this year on a plastic barrel, hf pump 90 bucks or so, and some piping to make it easier. mixed up 250 pounds pretty easily. I also cut in a hot water supply to my outdoor hose so i can flip a few shut off valves and i have 120 degree water in the mixing barrel. also nice for cleaning out stuff this time of the year up here when its cold. Depending on the time of year i either put the barrel on the truck and add everything there and then tie it down or put it into 5 gallon buckets. If you have a sump pump hanging around you can put it in a barrel on its side to do the mixing. hard to keep it on its side though.
i keep a costco memebership specifically for their 50 pound bags of sugar at 22.49
I was buying at costco, but found that walmart had it for about $9/25lb or $18/50lb

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I was buying at costco, but found that walmart had it for about $9/25lb or $18/50lb
In the store up here walmart is about 13 bucks for 25. they dont sell bigger. strange. guess we all need to shop around as this is a significant yearly cost.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,236 Posts
At my Walmart, the 25# bags are the same price (.33#) as the 10# bags. I buy 100# at a time in the 10# size. My pot holds 20# of sugar and enough water to make the 2:1 I am currently using. There is just enough room to add the extra water to make 5:3 for next spring. I need a bigger pot.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a 55 gal drum with a valve on the bottom and I guess I will have to bring it out this spring.Also have an old trolling motor to put in it.I just need to set up a stand for it all.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,236 Posts
I recently installed an Ecotemp L12 propane fired continuous hot water heater in a food truck. Got me to thinking about 2:1 syrup production on a larger scale. The unit offers a 77°F increase at around 2.6 gpm. If this was hooked to the hot water line, it would give you near boiling water for as long as you had the line open. Might be perfect for a 55 gallon drum, or even a 275 gal. tote.
The heater is only $250 and will run off of a propane grill regulator.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have seen those on demand water heaters an they do work well but buying one is a little out of pocket expense I cant afford just for syrup making.The trolling motor I have had for some 30 years will take longer to dissolve the sugar and I have a lot more time than money.A water hose coiled and a cheap can of black spray paint and then a piece of visqueen over it and lying in the sun.Then a small 12v water pump to circulate will help bring up temps also.It would cool down quick when hitting the cool water in the drum but it certainly would get hot in the hose and dissolve sugar.

·
Registered
223 Posts
AS long as you don't need the indoor one, hang the Ecotemp L5 on the outside, it's only a hundred but meant for outdoor use as no chimney. But just to be sure, only run water through it, not syrup. I think the smaller model would have been perfect for a food truck, hanging on the outside of the truck behind your sink saving precious indoor space. Used one for about a year, but they are pressure sensitive and will shut off if the pressure is not high enough (for mobile operations where you are pumping from a stock tank).

Oh, don't forget about them and let them freeze. :-(

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't have enough hives to warrant this, but here is an idea for Beeks needing barrel amounts of syrup. You could scavenge, or buy new hot water heater element and mount into the barrel to heat the water.
might apply a bubble stone or someting to agitate the water while heating.

Not sure if a plastic barrel would be a good idea for this, but I do now of people mounting them into metal drums.

here is an example of a element replacement kit: https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Water-Heater-100109136-Thermostat/dp/B016TQB9NA/ref=sr_1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts