Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on mixing up Ultra Bee protien patties. I have access to fresh, reasonably priced HFCS. It is 65% fructose, will this be okay for the bees? I've been mixing my patties using sugar syrup and extra oil but they do try out faster than I would like.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Commercial beekeepers feed HFCS all the time, its not as good as honey, but the bees don't have to go through the trouble of inverting it unlike sucrose.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's good to know, I have no issue with feeding high fructose corn syrup I was just concerned about the 65% because it seems that it is higher than usual 45 or 55%?

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is a bit higher, honey is about 40% fructose and sucrose is 50% fructose. 65% may be a little high, but I have seen people use 90% without too mush issue. The problem is (and its not much of a problem anymore since we have changed how we make HFCS) is that the more fructose there is, the more HMF there might be in it and that is incredibly toxic to bees. Modern HFCS is pretty low in HMF, though if you are getting it for cheap, that might be something to look into?

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know, thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts