Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(first year beekeeper here)

The Tip: Write down a little ToDo list before inspecting.

A few times i've gone into the hive with something 'extra' to do beyond general inspection (check or add some SHB traps, for example), and I forgot what I had planned.

Today I forgot something which posed a major risk: when doing a 'sugar roll' test for Varroa mites (my first test ever), i forgot to look at the frame that I was 'dropping' the bees from, to see if had the queen on it. Duh. (By 'dropping' I am referring to a technique i saw, where you take your ball jar, set it against the top of the frame, and gently/slowly brush it down the side.... bees simply tip over into the jar. Easier then scooping them up from the bottom, or dumping a bunch of them into a bucket, etc...)

Anyway, I only remembered this after I had heavily shaken any mites out onto a plate. When I dumped the bees (some of them weak/damaged) back onto the hive entrance, I fortunately didn't see a queen among them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
(first year beekeeper here)

The Tip: Write down a little ToDo list before inspecting.

A few times i've gone into the hive with something 'extra' to do beyond general inspection (check or add some SHB traps, for example), and I forgot what I had planned.

Today I forgot something which posed a major risk: when doing a 'sugar roll' test for Varroa mites (my first test ever), i forgot to look at the frame that I was 'dropping' the bees from, to see if had the queen on it. Duh. (By 'dropping' I am referring to a technique i saw, where you take your ball jar, set it against the top of the frame, and gently/slowly brush it down the side.... bees simply tip over into the jar. Easier then scooping them up from the bottom, or dumping a bunch of them into a bucket, etc...)

Anyway, I only remembered this after I had heavily shaken any mites out onto a plate. When I dumped the bees (some of them weak/damaged) back onto the hive entrance, I fortunately didn't see a queen among them.
That’s a great tip for anyone regardless of experience. Sometimes my OCD kicks in and I have to check and recheck things because I remember that I may have forgotten to remember to do something 😂.

When I forget something it is usually because I’m in a hurry for one reason or another. Like when I forget to remove the towel sealing the door after OAV treatment. I remembered the towel the next trip I made to apply OAV...7 days later. It pays to slow down and be methodical.

Ryan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts