Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The article is not real clear on exactly what was stolen. But sounds like the hives were gutted of frames and the empty boxes left. ??

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read it the same way. Either way it still a shame.

If they haven't already an investment in the purchase and use of a good branding iron would be a great start for these kids.

......................................................................................................................................................................................

Although we have yet to have a massive break in like this I did come across a few "holes" where field hands decided to "help themselves" to a frame or two while the bees were in the sunflowers this summer.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If i remember correctly back in the spring there was an article about a bunch of hives stolen out of the almonds. Those that stole the hives took them to a "chop shop" where they were removing the brands but also putting the frames and bees into already unbranded equipment to resell.. I'd say that in this case they had the woodenware to put the frames into already and wanted to turn an easy buck without arousing too much thought of why those boxes of bees dissappeared.. Gave them more time to get away with it..

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
If i remember correctly back in the spring there was an article about a bunch of hives stolen out of the almonds. Those that stole the hives took them to a "chop shop" where they were removing the brands but also putting the frames and bees into already unbranded equipment to resell.. I'd say that in this case they had the woodenware to put the frames into already and wanted to turn an easy buck without arousing too much thought of why those boxes of bees dissappeared.. Gave them more time to get away with it..
X2. with the boxes standing they had a getaway. G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts