Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously purchased Permacomb fully drawn artificial comb on eBay, but I just noticed that for $15,000 you can apparently take over the Permacomb business. According to the eBay listing, Herbert Drapkin's grandson is looking for someone who can take over after the late beekeeping product developer. Permacomb's 5.0mm cell size and medium frame size isn't perfect for every application, but I do hope someone will make it available in the future! It certainly is much cheaper than flowhive frames, and you can easily store it and keep it handy for unexpected needs.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Looks to me like the grandson inherited something he had no idea what it was or how to use it. After a few google searches he found out what it was, wasn't interested in doing anything with it himself, and wasn't willing to spend the time to find the right buyer. So he turns to ebay. Seems somewhat odd.

I haven't checked, but my guess is there is no patent protection. Anyone can go make the molds. No one has. Wonder why.

The seller claims it would cost $50k to make a replacement mold. I doubt it.

Even if someone bought it, the real value isn't just in medium size frames of 5.0 cells. It would be making frames that are deeps too, and all standard 5.4 cells. In that case, looks like you're spending the cash to make two new injection molds anyway. So what are you really buying here?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The seller claims it would cost $50k to make a replacement mold. I doubt it
If you had it made in china maby less, stateside $50k easy
Trade marks and patents on it seem to have expired

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Its at the injection molding shop that last used it, its just a matter of some $$ and they would likely run some for you

·
Registered
696 Posts
The seller claims it would cost $50k to make a replacement mold. I doubt it. I am in the plastics business and will tell you that $50K can actually be achieved depending on how many parts you want in a mold to be made per cycle. Of coarse if you know anything about injection molding you have to know the process for it. How does 1 go about even getting started? I could take a finished product bring it to a injection molded plastic company and say I need 10,000 of these in 3 months. They'd get back to me and tell me the price of the mold, cost per piece and delivery time. They'd also tell you how many parts per mold is needed to crank out that many for your deadline and weather they have that tonnage of mold needed to do that. If not they'd tell you where to seek business by referral as the plastics industry probably knows who's who and would do that.
If your smart after that quote you have a descent idea of what your numbers are. Now you need to do your math and we know he sells them for $8.00 so lets just cut that in half. $4.00 to arrive total product cost with transportation and whatever else. Let's just see if we can cut that in half and beyond. SO you go to MFG.com and you take a photo, post your ad for injection molding on the world market with a target price of $1.75. You get a bid for number of pieces per mold with a cost per piece attached. Now you know what the cost per mold is and how fast and the cost of production can be. Go email some Chinese, Mexican, India or maybe African company and see the pro's and con's of doing business and see what they say to your product. Know what your shipping options are and port of call is going to be. What is your semi truck cost going to be for transportation and where are you going to store them? All of this is still in the original write up for initial bottom line cost. So you can do it for $2.95 getting it to America, but when port cost, transportation and insurance is all paid out it's $3.25 to 3.44each
Box cost, storage and your time. Oh yes, advertisement and a website, business license, bookeeping fee and oh the taxes. So your now back at $4.00 and you charge $8.00. First run is now nearly sold out and you still have not made a dime and it's 2 years now. It's time to re-order. You find out your quote you had has risen .65 cents per part. You didn't know they'd do that and you crunch the numbers and also find out that your 2 years shipping costs have gone up dramatically as well as transport and port fees, You made a 35% profit and now your only going to make 22% Even though you've paid now 75% on your mold by now. So, you go ahead and make a price drop in price eat the cost and by then you want out of the business as it's not doing so well. You wonder if you should have just sold them for 10% above cost, done it much faster and not been profit driven, but you didn't know better cause you've never been in the plastics industry and a business man.
I don't know about you, but I have never heard of that company. Didn't know about that plastic frame, but for $80 for cells pre MFG is pretty high when I can probably buy them and assemble the frames for $50 bucks and have the bees make the cells. I don't even know if shipping is included in that $8.00 price. Do you really want honey sitting in plastic VS wax made from bees? Couple years ago 100 foundations was about $110.00 on line. I think frames woodenware is something like $2.00, so $3.00 per frame. I don't know the actual price. Lumber at a construction site if free. I have the knowledge and skill to make foundationless frames.
You decide.... Do you yourself want drawn out artificial cells or not

1 - 6 of 6 Posts