Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you beeks name your queens, but I do. I name them for no particular reason other than I want to.

Three queens live in my backyard or should I say, two queens now reside there.

Her name was Mildred and I affectionately called her Millie. She would have been 1 year old this coming May. Today, I noticed that alot of bees were visiting her home and I decided to investigate just in case the visits from these bees was not so noble. And I was right, these bees were stealing her blind.

When I took Millie's home apart, I noticed that lots of her daughters were dead along with one lonely deceased son.

I looked for Millie among the dead on the SBB and didn't find her. I then examined the frames in the deep and didn't see any bees, but frames of honey and a few cells of dead brood. The supers were heavy so full of honey.

I only saw a small cluster of bees on the one super and hoped that Millie would be there. So, I reassembled the frames back into the deep and put the deep back on the SBB.

And then I looked at the few dead bees on where I last had the deep and there was Millie -- She was moving ever so slightly. I gently picked her up and put her with her cluster of bees. She took a couple of steps and then fell. And I knew that March 7, 2010 would be her last day on this earth.

I don't know if I injured her thus causing her death when I looked at each frame in the deep. And I am not sure why she was away from the cluster, however so tiny.

As my other two queens, Pamela and Doris seem to be prospering with subjects, I am looking at dividing them in about another month. I will look for another Mildred and let her take over one of these splits and can only hope that her bees are as gentle as those from Millie, for which I mourn. Millie was a wonderful queen when she reigned and all that knew her loved her.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know how many of you beeks name your queens, but I do. I name them for no particular reason other than I want to.

I don't know if I injured her thus causing her death when I looked at each frame in the deep. And I am not sure why she was away from the cluster, however so tiny.

As my other two queens, Pamela and Doris seem to be prospering with subjects, I am looking at dividing them in about another month. I will look for another Mildred and let her take over one of these splits and can only hope that her bees are as gentle as those from Millie, for which I mourn. Millie was a wonderful queen when she reigned and all that knew her loved her.
Don't blame yourself. She must have been very sick and her colony was failing for whatever reasons. I am sorry for your loss.

I hope your splits go well and that they turn out as gentle as your "Millie".

God Bless

1 - 2 of 2 Posts