Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got problems. I installed 3 packages 48 hours ago. In one of my Langstroth hives, I set the queen cage on the bottom bar of some foundationless frames with a tiny piece of marshmallow in place of the cork end. A small enough piece where they should have removed it in minutes instead of hours. I just checked on that hive (48 hours after install) to make she she was released because we have cold temps coming and I wanted to make sure she can get to the cluster. But I can't tell if she's out or not because the bees are all clustered around the cage and I didn't think I should disturb them that much. And half of the bees are building comb in my hive top feeder. See picture
photo (1).jpg

How do I get them out of there?

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Remove that old feeder, reach in and get cage, if she is out ok, if not hang from top of frame and they will cluster around her. The reason they are up in that feeder is they are licking old sugar from the wood. If it is warm enough remove feeder and place on ground next to entrance, as the evening gets cooler keep an eye on it and put it away when they go in.

2nd pic looks like inside a TBH. You should hang that queen cage from a top bar.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tree winder, that sounds like a plan. but if they do move out of the hive top feeder if i place it on the ground, and they go back inside, they won't have any sugar syrup in there. should I put the feeder back on once they're all inside? what's to stop them from doing it all over again? maybe I can fill that space with something so they can't cluster there.
yes the 2nd pic is inside my TBH where I'm also having a problem but I think I know how to fix that problem. I tried to delete that pic from my original post but it's still there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get that cage out of your topbar as soon as she is out or it will cause your comb to go all wonky, they will build right around it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or since I'm not using the half of that feeder with all the bees in it, maybe I should just let them stay there for now? Will they go down eventually? I'm only adding sugar syrup to the right side of the feeder (it's a long story as to why).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Remove the feeder and use a large zip lock plastic bag instead. I just poke several holes in it with a skewer when it's laying flat in the hive (I put it on top of the frames as I use a mat instead of an inner cover.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts