Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I checked my mating nucs today. The queen cells have been in there for 15 days. I was looking in one of them so I could get frame for a ob hive out of it. And then I got carried away and looked in all of them. There is barely any brood and it is spotty. :cry::cry: Should I squish all the queens and start over or should I wait.

Thanks in advance for any info. I am really not excited about the procpect of starting over.

Kingfisher

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Fifteen days is not enough time if the mating flights were delayed for weather or so the queens could get their hair done before the courtship. I would give them one more week. If they do nothing by then they are worthless.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw a queen that they were not paying any attention to. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the info y'all have given me over the last few months. I really enjoy beesource.

Kingfisher

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I saw a queen that they were not paying any attention to. Is this normal? Kingfisher
Yes, they don't pay any attention to the virgins. By the time the queen is mated and laying, there won't be any brood left. This is normal, that's why you've got little and spotty brood right now. Keep waiting, you've got virgins and they need to mate and lay. So long as you have enough populations and stores, they should do fine. Check on them in a week.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How can they still be virgins if they have been in there 15 days? If they are still virgins, and I marked one, would this affect anything?
Thanks for the info.
Kingfisher

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
So how old were they when you put them in 15 days ago. How long ago was the egg laid that is the queen cell. Queen cell hatch 16 days from egg lay (plus or minus a day for weather temps). Mating from 4 to 21 days later, usually by day 10 to 14 is good. That's a total of, say, 16 + 14 is 30 days from when the egg was laid, before you see eggs, is reasonable.

Were these walk away splits or did you raise queen cells and introduce them the day before they were to emerge, or the day they were to emerge? Were the mating nucs hopelessly queenless when the cells were put in so that you are sure there are no rogue virgin queens in there messing things up? It sounds like these were walkaway splits or close to it and that you may have virgin queens in there, but many variables I'm not aware of. It's about the timing and weather and conditions in the mating nucs.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
kewl, you should see eggs in a week then, so patience is still called for. If your nuc population strength is getting low, you can add a frame of emerging brood with bees to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts