Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just got a warm day to check my bees and there are no larva. There were some drone larva but no brood. I couldn't find a queen either. What do i do?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Do you have another hive or a friend who can give you a frame of eggs?

·
Registered
447 Posts
They should be able to make a queen.
A quicker (more reliable) fix would be to order a queen from further south or Hawaii.
Make sure you do not have eggs or more to the point multiple eggs in the cells (laying worker sign).
Was this your first check this year?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds like she may have died in the winter.

There were some drone larva but no brood.
One of the workers might be starting to lay. That would be "not good" you need a queen quick; in my very inexperienced opinion. I have read here every hive has a few laying workers in it. If you have multiple eggs then do a search for laying worker "cures". Someone else will surely chime in.

Was she old? I am puzzled by the drone brood, but no larva.
The multiple egg thing will be the key.

RKR

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you have laying workers do not intro an new queen, the colony will kill her. You need to look for eggs, multiples or laid on the sides of the cells instead of the center/bottom might indicate laying workers. A frame of eggs might overcome the problem and they may make a queen, but if you have laying workers you might have to intro a frame of eggs every week for a few weeks in hope they will get the hint and make a queen cell. See Mike Bush's site for more info on laying workers and resolutions to that problem if in fact that is the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked very close for eggs and there is nothing. As far as the drone brood there wasn't much maybe 30 cells at the most. The hive must have got pretty low for the winter cause its empty other then one frame of honey.:doh: So basically it looks like I have 30 drone cells in one frame. Some worker bees with a hive full of empty comb.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
With no eggs (yet) you could try to intro a mated queen however I might reccomend getting a frame of eggs and a frame of capped brood from your friend. The capped brood will help boost the population or keep it stable and they SHOULD make a few queen cells from the frame of eggs. Whatever you decide do it soon the clock is ticking before workers start laying.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep- in local bee club here in NOVA. May need to ask folks about these plastic cages. Internet posts look favorable, I wish I could find a resource that physically showed how they work. Guess I may have to fiddle with it when it arrives! I assume one has to pull a cap or part of the cage off like the old style cages?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good deal! I have since gotten in these cages. They seem easier to deal with so far. Waited 3 days, removed the 'cap', now waiting for the little sweeties to chew through.

One one of my two hives, they seem more aggressive, so I hope they calm down before they release her - one of the resources mentioned you should keep the cap on until signs of aggressiveness cease, then them them chew through. Time will tell on this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts