Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started bee keeping i had a hive at work for 7 years it was a large crate 4' x 4' and and bees took up in it. i bought a hive and took brood, honey,and empty combs.cut them into emty frames and 5 lb of bees took them home. then they were robed by bees. also i did not get the queen.i went back the next week with another hive to get the rest of the hive and someone got to it first took the whole crate.now i have a hive with no queen but i do have drones and the bees are doing good. what to do now its four weeks plus now.no queen cells.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You don't say how long you've had those bees now, but if there are eggs, and decent brood pattern, not all drones, you do have a queen. If you don't, then you need to get a queen soon, because that colony will simply die out.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
575 Posts
sfields480,
If you are sure they are queenless I agree with StevenG get a queen, purchase one or put in a frame that has eggs so they can make queen cells. If they go too long they will develop laying workers and just dwindle away. Are there eggs there now?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Sounds like you got brood combs, if you got some eggs or just hatching eggs then you probably have a queen by now. Give it a couple more weeks (it's been four weeks since you cut it out right?) and check for eggs and larva.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had the bees 4 weeks the hive i took them from had plenty of drones it was a wild hive also i took small cell comb , i cant find any queens at this time i have 3 nucs coming in 3 weeks will they last till then or should i give to another bee keeper to mix with his hive . is it possible to get a queen at this time,and could i ask a friend that has a hive to give me a frame with uncaped cell and put in my hive will that work.i would like to thank you who answerd my ? looking forward to fixing this problem

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You need eggs, not just uncapped brood! They can't raise a queen if the brood is too old. I would definitely check again for a queen; if you transferred eggs into your hive they likely raised themselves a queen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts