Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys. I'm out of town, but just got contacted that some bees went after a neighbor's mother-n-law (no stings) that was outside smoking. The residence is about 200 feet from my closest hive. Does this make sense at all? I am trying to get clarification, but I can't see a group of my normally docile bees going that distance to "dive" at a smoker. Heck they should be scattering looking for that first dandelion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you mark your queen? Just wondering if she could have been replaced by a African queen? I am up in Indiana so we don't have them up here YET.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Maybe she was burning something attractive to bees, like wacky weed! Or a nice Cuban cigar! My bees like a Montecristo #2 but can't make up their mind whether to go for the cigar or the glass of Crown Royal that accompanies it. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is hilarious. "Some bees went after".....define went after. The first assumption made is MUST BE AFRICANIZED!!!!!!!! The lame stream media sure has done a great job on the general public.

Jim Ray, I can understand your concern about some of your bees checking out the "smoking mother-in-law" since you are in an urban setting. I wouldn't worry about it. They are probably looking for forage and were curious about the smoke smell or perhaps her perfume. Bet when they showed up, she started swatting at them and running around.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect you are right. I'm still trying to find out if it was really bees, or more than one, etc. This just doesn't sound right. But I'm on travel so can't get info until they respond.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two of my queens are marked and clipped and and three are not.

·
Registered
382 Posts
First, rule out AHB. AC probably has it right, perfume. It was warm today and the bees were out looking around and something new was in the air worth checking out. No sting, no foul, keep playing.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
My vote is for odor. Did she have on a lot of perfume, could have smelled bad because she had been doing something prior to going outside. Heck she could have just eaten a banana before coming outside or had one in her hand or pocked. What color was she wearing. Soap and hair wash scents can rile up many inscets, including bees.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
hair spray is quite attractive,too. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Tell them it wasn't your bees....you checked and that day they didn't go in that direction because of a secret government project where the EPA was using nano-bugs to check on the levels of CO2 in the neighborhood trying to get a hand on global warming. You suspect that since she was smoking he attracted the attention of the EPA and they can probably expect a higher tap and trade tax from the government in the near future.

That ought to get their minds reeling and stop bothering you. :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jim Ray, the general public doesn't understand the following....when a honey bee is checking you out for whatever reason, the worst thing you can do is start swatting at it.

Let me share this story. I did a cut out two years ago for a family five miles from me. The woman said there was a "bee nest" in an old house behind their home(about 100 feet away). She claimed whenever she went outside, the bees would attack her and she would have to run back in the house. her husband claimed the same, saying whenever he was working around the barn, some bees would start buzzing around him.

Upon investigation, I find out her husband is an ag chemical applicator. He parks his big spray rig about 50 feet from the colony. He mixes chemicals and cleans his tanks right on the spot. there were empty chemical jugs laying in piles all around the barn. Add to this, the woman wore enough perfume to choke a horse. No wonder the bees were in a constant state of "riled up". While I was there talking with the woman(and choking on her perfume) two bees started flying around us. She immediatley went into a panic and started swatting at them. She finally ran into the house saying "see what I mean, I can't even come outside". I just stood there. The bees checked me out and left.

Long story short, my wife and I came back a couple days later and did the cut out. Didn't get stung once. Got a nice colony of feral bees.

I'm sure because of ignorance, the first thing these folks did was point the finger at your bees.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
alpha6, you are one sick puppy! and I love it! :lpf:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It's not unlikely for them to head butt or just hover at that distance from the hive, then most people will start windmilling...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am a first year bee keeper. So I am learning a lot each day. One thing I know for sure is they will check out any new smell. Everytime I get the paint out with in a few min. a couple bees will be there to see what the smell is. I just watch them and after a few min. they fly away. But, I have also watched visitors I've had over and most of the time there first reaction is to get worried and want to swat at them. Even with me telling them just to be still.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Jim you probably pegged it w/o knowing it, " diving at dandilions". Shoot the old broad maybe looked like one, and smelled like a 55 gal drum of nectar eh?
Good luck

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My bet is that it was a yellow jacket and the bee was just checking things out. We all have had some insect bug us.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't rule out that she is telling it like it is. When I had AFB hives in my area, 1/4 mile away, they would come around checking out the honey house. I could be setting on my patio 100 yards from honey house and a bee would come by and just nail me. NO PROVACATION! Be out in the desert walking, not near any hive and get in some bee's flight path. She bumps into you then comes right back and nails you. These critters do not play by the old rules. It gets down right tiresome.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
If she didn't get stung, I think it's much more likely that a bee was just checking her out and she panicked. If bees are "going after" someone, they manage to sting them in my experience :). OTOH, if the colonies are feeling defensive for some reason (skunk predation etc), they might be looking for trouble farther out.

If it IS your bees, please breed up a couple queens. I'll pay good money for a mother-in-law-sensitive defensive trait :D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts