Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I picked up this wax separator this summer and the woman didn’t really know how to use it (it belonged to her husband who has passed away last year). No makers marks.

Could anybody give me some ideas on how to use it? Looks like you put 5 gallons of water into its “belly” (above the drain plug) and heat it up. Uncap on top and let cappings fall in and heat separates the wax and honey pours out into second smaller bucket? Is that ballpark correct? How hot should the water get inside?

Any thoughts or help appreciated. Would love to use it but really clueless.
Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Road surface Asphalt
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Gas
Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi. I picked up this wax separator this summer and the woman didn’t really know how to use it (it belonged to her husband who has passed away last year). No makers marks.

Could anybody give me some ideas on how to use it? Looks like you put 5 gallons of water into its “belly” (above the drain plug) and heat it up. Uncap on top and let cappings fall in and heat separates the wax and honey pours out into second smaller bucket? Is that ballpark correct? How hot should the water get inside?

Any thoughts or help appreciated. Would love to use it but really clueless. View attachment 65806 View attachment 65807 View attachment 65809
Is the water below the wax?
Kind of like a heated floor? If so, does it function like a double boiler in a sense? Water below wax gets hot, wax melts and drains off?
If so, it seems it might function better as a wax melter than it will to use while uncapping.
Then, how do you get wax out of catch bin? Would you be better served draining into a large “mold” that you can thump the wax out of?
Also, it might be worth exploring ability to prop melter up on the drain side to stop/slow down flow of melted wax if need be.
Good luck. It sounds like some fun winter tinkering is in your future.

·
Administrator
11,316 Posts
Typically wax melters use water as a means of conducting heat to the wax. I would suggest NOT putting wax in direct contact with the heater. Potential fire hazard!

While I have no reason to believe that the melter pictured in post #1 is a Maxant, the PDF attached here should be useful in understanding how to use a wax melter.

Those instructions came from this Maxant page:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Disclaimer, I don't have bees yet, but it looks to me as its may be home made. And it looks like the heater is under the pan. I tlooks like t will probbaly work pretty good, and that someone who has done this a time or two has worked out the bugs ij his own system. Notice the way it would drain and the screen.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Best I can tell, there is a water jacket under it which gets heated, and the theory is it melts all the honey and wax into a slurry which then flows into the second tank. where the wax is supposed to float and the honey be drained off the bottom?

If so, it is nicely engineered, but a very poor design.

But let's know if I understood that right, or if wrong where so we can work this out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts