Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of someone who knows more about bees than myself. I am having a problem with a queenless lang hive. I had only 2 top bars before but sort of inherited this one after a friend passed away. I have had the hive since may 3rd and moved it about 15 miles. the bee hive was very strong when i moved it and i didn't open it for several weeks after moving. I opened it several weeks ago and noticed the whole hive was full of cured and uncured honey but no brood. I pulled 2 queen cells on comb and some fresh eggs from my top bar and placed them in a frame in the hive. I went back today but only saw dwindling bees and no brood. There are 2 other hives next to this hive on a farm near my house and i think now its getting robbed out. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
dave

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'd shrink the entrance to the smallest and get a mated queen right away. If the hive has multiple boxes, shrink it to the amount they can protect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there are 2 deep and 4 shallow boxes on hive. I hope to find a mated queen and remove several boxes. one question is where will she lay eggs? the whole hive is filled with capped and uncapped honey.
dave

·
Registered
426 Posts
You could always remove some of the frames and extract the honey. Put them back in and the bees should clean them up nicely for the new queen to lay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts