Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a boomer of a swarm last Wednesday (about the size of a 5 gallon bucket) and hived it on 10 sheets of wax and 10 sheets of plastic. By Monday they had drawn out 5 frames of plastic and 1 frame of wax. This morning they were completely gone w/o a trace.

Could it be pesticides?

Should I burn the frames?

Please advise.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
lots of reports of "absconding" last several years. almost certainly not pesticides. next time, feed'em and give a frame of brood if you have it. these 2 tricks work nearly every time, less if only one used. dont burn the frames. good luck,mike

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I had the same thing just happen. My shop vac bees left. Leaving behind a frame of eggs/larva.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i've read reports that even slight traces(partial)of AHB makes them more prone to abscond. that would make sense to me (that local genetics has a role here)because i have never had a swarm that is taking feed and fanning to abscond. that said, i'm a very small player. sorry i couldnt help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Caught 2 swarms this year that did the exact same thing. Hard to tell just what they're thinking when they up and leave like that. Maybe you missed the queen, a swarm I captured last year was queenless when I got 'em set up, not 15 minutes after I introduced them to their new home they absconded and forced their way past the gaurd bees into my strongest hive and never left, that one stumped me. Hope you get it all figured out, Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts