Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, there are a couple of things we saw in our hive that we aren't sure about, and I was hoping someone here can help me identify what they are.

The first is some capped cells that seemed discoloured. They are on new comb in a foundationless frame just a few weeks old. The first picture is zoomed in. (links 1, 2.)

The second again looks to be oddly coloured to us, first 3 pics (Link 1, 2, 3) showed progressively zoomed out view.. They are built on a white plastic frame, so I think some of what we are seeing is white plastic. Not sure what the darker spots are. These pictures are taken on August 9.

Same frame on Jul 26 (link)

Just concern there are diseases or something we should be worrying about. Hive seems active otherwise, with lots of eggs, larvae, brood.

·
Registered
137 Posts
looks fine to me, i think the darker colour seems to be just older wax that had had brood raised in it before, hard to see though i am looking at the pics on my phone.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Looks good, nice healthy brood pattern.

The darker cells are brood that hatched from new white comb. The close up looks a little like they started to backfill with nectar and pollen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spreerider, the comb is all newly built, and the the capped cells are the first brood raise in there. FlowerPlanter, the explanation of the darker cells being brood that hatched from new white comb makes a lot of sense.

Does anybody know what the second set of photos show though? It is all new comb on white plastic foundation, no brood has been in there, so the colour seems off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts