Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 20 hives that are Double deeps with a single Medium super. I am from Oklahoma and we are in a non typical wet year.
I walk away split the hives this spring and all are doing well. Queen laying pattern is good and both bottom boxes are full of brood honey and pollen. Here is the problem, they have not moved into the Supers and have not stretched comb. I thought it was the plasticell foundation, so i replaced with duraguilt. I have tried feeding to stimulate them to stretch comb in the Top box to no avail. I would like to see them productive this year, and have racked my brain as to what to do. Can anyone off some thoughts?
Thanks
A

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Duragilt? Ouch... They still sell that garbage?

I suspect your problem is one of a lack of flow unless you are using honey excluders!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I typically use wired wax foundation, no queen excluders and they will not take feed; so I suspect there is a flow on.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Check and be sure the brood chamber boxes do not have several full frames of honey in them. Don't know your flows but by now they should be capping and maybe still foraging bringing nectar in. If you do have full frames of honey extract it or cut the comb out and place back empty frames in between two brood frames. You will at least get some kind of honey harvest if that's what you are after.
If there are no full frames than the bees are still doing their thing and nectar plants for your area may be just starting.
Tough call on the plastic frames and why they have not started on them. I have zilch experience on plastic .

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had no trouble with plastic foundation. During the current flow, the hives that are not interested in the supers have back-filled much of the brood chamber with honey and have recently been superseding queens or swarming. Others can tell me if I'm wrong, but when I see one hive filling honey supers, and a similar hive ignoring the supers, I suspect there is some queen-related activity going on in the one not focused on the honey super.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts