Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam going to be starting my first hive soon and need advice/opinions on my set-up. I will be going with a all medium eight frame hive if I can, I am receiving a nuc but have not heard back on what size frames it's on? Iam assuming that they are not mediums so am anticipating having a deeper first box 9 5/8 ? If i do have to have a deeper first box will it still jive with mediums above? Do the amount of frames, ie; ten or eight have anything to do with a nuc? Also iam wanting to do foundationless frames but have read sometimes it's helpfull to have a foundation on a frame as a ladder/guide? So if it's a good idea which foundation would be best? I was going to modify the wedge style frames for foundationless, also if you are trying foundationless does this mean foundationless brood box or just supers for honey? And if you use foundation in brood box which is best? Thanks sorry these questions are a bit dumb but I like this forums so I'll ask.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
The frames from the nuc will be the guide just place them in the center of the hive body. Medium over deep is not a problem, if you are going foundationless the cell size of the nuc has no bearing as the bees will be building the foundation. even in the event it does not matter you can mix and match if you like.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts