Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady called me and this is the situation. 150 year old brick home with an outer and and inner brick wall. Bees have moved into the gap between the 2 layers of brick on both the north and the south side of the house. Somehow the bees are finding their way into the living quarters. They want to try and save the bees if possible but I am at a loss for suggestions. Any ideas on removal?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, it's going to be tough, tough, tough. Bees in two sides of the house. The house is 150 years old, possibly an historic landmark perhaps? If not an historic landmark, it is surely highly valued for its age.

Man, I'm with you. I would want the bees too but whoever does this cutout will have to go thru either the outer brick wall or the sheet rock and inner brick wall to get to the bees.

Questions: Is it possible that the bees are "centrally" located with the hive and simply using two exits OR...do you have two separate, distinct hives.

You will need to locate the hive if you can before you proceed much further. I personally have an idea on how you might go about doing that so pm me if you would like to know. I'm afraid of being laughed at on the forum.

You will need specific permission since this is a residence with folks living there.

So many things to think about...

1. If you go in from the inside...can you put up a plastic sheet like a hazmat unit from ceiling to floor to keep the bees inside a very tight space rather than flying free around the room?

2. Perhaps a written statement of understanding that you don't pay for repairs and are responsible only for the removal of the bees, combs, etc.

I usually do my cutouts on old abandoned houses, etc. not current residences.

You have a fabulous opportunity in front of you. Best wishes and post up the results...with pics if you can get them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely 2 different hives. I thought maybe they were in the attic and just using 2 entrances but no such luck. Plaster over bricks on the inner walls. Bees are going in under some molding near the roof line. Thought about a trap out but there are too many cracks in the molding and mortar. Really a nice old home but the people are very back to nature and want to save the bees. Wish I had a better solution.

·
Registered
47 Posts
find the location of the hives, try cracking the morter around the bricks and remove them, then cut into the wall for removal. if you can save the bricks, a brick mason can use them to repair the wall back.

my 2, good luck

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Why don't you look at a "trap out" of the respective hives?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a cut out with bees coming out two location. Get a heat detector at Radio shack they work great. Pin point where they starts and stops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts