Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began 4 hives three weeks ago with 2 lb. packages of bees on drawn out comb in 8 or 9 of the 10 frame deep. I checked last friday and they had pretty much have brood in 3 or 4 of the frames in each hive with 1-2 filled with honey and 1 filled with pollen. Since they took off right away I assume this past sunday which was 3 weeks since I shook the bees in the frames the brood would begin hatching. The question is when should I add the next deep of undrawn frames?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
When they have only 2 frames that aren't being used you can add the next box. They will expand up easier then across, especially after they pack nectar/honey on the sides of the brood frames. You could wait another week. Is the next deep foundation or drawn comb?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried adding a second deep down here in GA last year but the bees never seemed to do anything with it. I get a nice single deep full but they just don't seem to take to the second one so I just add supers and get lots of honey. Since it is starting out to be a much better year I may add a deep at the end of May. I've already added a super - do you think there will be any problem with that? I have heard they don't typically use 2 deeps down here but I want to try to get more bees for a possible split.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If they get crowded in any way they will swarm. We always add a brood box or supper when they still have 2 or 3 empty frames except for in the fall. The same with the bee number , leave them about 3 frames of space empty of bees. When we add we always move some full frames up, honey or brood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.