Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken notice since i have gotten into beekeeping that there is always gonna be ants. So far i have cleaned them off the inner board, i have sprinkled Ground cinnamin all over the place numerous of times, i have applied vaseline along the sides of the block but these ants are persistent and will not give up. At first i had black ants, now there is then big red ants and i need to find a drench thats safe, i need to do something. So what i would like to know is: What drench or what product can i purchase locally either from Lowes or perhaps a lawn & garden shop or where ever it might be so i can get ahead of these ants????....i know about the guardstar but i think thats just way too much money and there has to be something out there on the market other then at beekeeping store that a beekeeper uses to control ants and other pests around the hives and wont harm the bees!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: HELP:What Is The Best Way To Control or Get Rid Of Ants???

We use Ortho Fire Ant Killer, when our bees are in Florida to over winter. We pick it up at Tractor Supply and or Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: HELP:What Is The Best Way To Control or Get Rid Of Ants???

Is it liquid form, is it concentrated or does it come in a box or powdered form?????? How do you apply it and how often??? I will get me some tomorrow from wal mart when im in town if i know what exactly to get! I just want something to get rid of them and still safe for the bees as well. They dont need all that stress!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You may want to try Diatemaceous Earth (silicone dioxide), it's fossilized marine life that comes in powder form, absolutely will stop ants. It's really hard to find, but our Ace Hardware carries it, you might find it there. I lost a hive last year to carpenter ants, and nothing would stop them, I heard about this stuff, gave it a try and it demolished the ants, now any time I notice ants snooping around my hives I apply it liberally around my hivestands, no problems as of yet, you will lose a few bees to this stuff (it enters an insects spiracles and cuts the trachea to shreds while drying up the insides), but it's considered organic and is even used as a natural food perservative. The actual loss of bees is minimal when you consider this stuffs effectiveness, I will typically only see one or two bees in distress due to DME, and thats immediately after application, they get savvy after a day or two and steer clear of it. I apply it like you would a voodoo protection powder, around the entire hive, like a dry moat, just remember to keep it out away from the hive(s) itself to avoid accidental contact. The best part about DME is that it will only affect insects, no other wildlife will be in danger, and it's not a chemical, no tainted honey or Earth!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How far away from the hive???...I have 3 hives on them big gray cinder blocks (about 8" inches off the ground)! Each hive is 5-6 feet apart! To give u a rough idea of how far away from the hives i need to apply this stuff!

·
Registered
180 Posts
just about any of the products you find at the garden store labled for a drench will work.

I've not had good luck with DE, as it tends to wash away in our frequent thunderstorms, but if you can keep it in contact where ants will forage, it can control them very well.

Back when I was working in an entomology lab, we used a permethrin impregnated o-ring around the base of our shelves that contained insect colonies. (Ants are a huge issue in insectaries!) They worked great in that environment. The company that makes them is Antguard: http:antguard.com //www.antguard.com/default.asp

·
Registered
19 Posts
To control all crawling pests I had to put all the hives on stands with plastic cups under each leg and fill them with water, the rain keeps them full for the most part. The aints were a big time problem also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts