Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I don't know what has happened to my bees. Is it robbing or dearth?

Scenario: I have one hive with two supers- 1 large super and 1 medium super sitting on top. They were full of honey but I noticed about 1 week ago there was next to nothing in the large super and all the honey storage in the medium. I am very concerned they will not last the winter. I did dtart feeding syrup late as I had to leave town do to a death in the family. I started feeding October 1st. I also saved approximately 3 large frames full and 3 medium frames full of honey, they are sitting in the freezer for spring feeding. Should I feed them this now and replace the empty frames? I mean there is nothing in the large super. I was thinking about integrating all the honey supplements into a new box and swapping the other box.
I'm going to inspect the hive now but I was wondering what I should do? Any body have the same problem at one point? I did see a skunk by my hive a few days ago and yellow jackets. There is still many bees, no shortage.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you have not yet I would reduce the entrance way down or put on a robbing screen. It is to early in the year for the hive to have already eaten thru an entire super so I would suspect robbing. I would try to keep feeding them, but it may be getting to cold for them to take it. The syrup has to be over about 50F for the bees to take it in. If you can not get them to take syrup look up mountain camp and be prepared to load them up with dry sugar for the winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Elmer!

I just screwed down the bee entrance because the skunk kept moving it. I'll look up mountain camp feeder, thanks for the recommendation. Do you think I should add the stored frames into a new box and add the box now or before I close the hives for the winter. Again I only have 3 lrg. frames and 3 med frames. The hive is full, and the bees are aggressive right now. I don't want to pull frames the temperature is about 8-14celcius right now and I'm worried it't too cold for an inspection. I will be doing an oxalic acid treatment in November.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
It does sound like robbing. Do the frames look ragged and torn up ? If so, thats a clear sign.
I think the only way to get stores in this weather is to put 2:1 sugar syrup in a large zip lock bag with pinholes placed on the top bars. Remove one of the empty boxes.
You need to make follower boards to reduce the size of the boxes. Figure out how many frames of stores you have and reduce the boxes so you have a vertical stack with same amount of stores except ideally the top box has more. Example: bottom and middle box have 5 frames each and top box has 8. Insulate for winter, plan on mountain camp or Lauris sugar bricks. Both very simple and a search on here will tell you how to make the bricks. Good luck. J

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Also, do not wait to do your OAV. This is the time of the year when your hive population is declining and mite population is rising. J

·
Registered
950 Posts
Best to do your mite treatments as early as you can. 4 to 5 rounds of o.a. at least once
A week. Til you get it done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts