Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a two frame radial extractor for deep frames. Unfortunately, I can't find
an appropriate container for two deep frames in-line.

I'm considering shifting one frame so that it is parallel to the other, but no longer
in line, rather, overlapping. This will decrease the diameter of the frame holder assembly.

I'm trying to avoid the need for blow-out screens and wondering if this is a good compromise
between radial and tangential frames.

If the frames were in line, I can visual the overwhelming centrifugal force, but I'm having
difficulty visualizing the forces on my proposed approach.

Would appreciate your thoughts - Mike

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I would like to build a two frame radial extractor for deep frames. Unfortunately, I can't find
an appropriate container for two deep frames in-line.

I'm considering shifting one frame so that it is parallel to the other, but no longer
in line, rather, overlapping. This will decrease the diameter of the frame holder assembly.

I'm trying to avoid the need for blow-out screens and wondering if this is a good compromise
between radial and tangential frames.

If the frames were in line, I can visual the overwhelming centrifugal force, but I'm having
difficulty visualizing the forces on my proposed approach.

Would appreciate your thoughts - Mike
The g force increases exponentially with the distance from center. My son has an 18 frame radial and with deep frames reaching almost to centre finds that extraction is poor or much slower on the inner part of the frame.
Tangential extractors can get by with a much smaller diameter tub as the frames are on a chord of the circle rather than a radius. Problems though in having to flip frames and blow out can be an issue on the first side.

Your idea of having deep frames overlap center is a no go. Radials also take more power as they suffer greater windage losses compared to tangentials

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The g force increases exponentially with the distance from center. My son has an 18 frame radial and with deep frames reaching almost to centre finds that extraction is poor or much slower on the inner part of the frame.
Tangential extractors can get by with a much smaller diameter tub as the frames are on a chord of the circle rather than a radius. Problems though in having to flip frames and blow out can be an issue on the first side.

Your idea of having deep frames overlap center is a no go. Radials also take more power as they suffer greater windage losses compared to tangentials
So you are saying that unless I can find an appropriate container, I'm stuck building a tangential extractor. Right?

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
So you are saying that unless I can find an appropriate container, I'm stuck building a tangential extractor. Right?
I dont know any way around it for deeps. You could use the plastic juice barrels and make the cage to hold mediums the radial way and deeps tangentially.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,542 Posts
doing this is going tho change the forces from pulling against the top of the frame to pulling perpendicular to it, and I suspect it would blow out. The radial acceleration is always going out from the axle, so offseting the frames next to the axle means you will be putting force perpendicular to the foundation and comb instead of in line with it where it crosses the axle.

I am visualizing your description (top down) as the frames are yellow, and the axle is black

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
put an add on Craigs list or some site, there are keepers quitting all the time.

you may need to visualize writing a check for a used one.

all forces go from the black hub outward, Agree with Crofter My 9 frame radial sucks at deep due to the fact the frame is really close to the spindle, and 9 inches is a lot so too much at the end not enough in the center. at one speed the bottom of the frame will not empty at a higher speed I have blow outs.

some tricky math there

GG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts