Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my previous post, I have all drone brood but still alot of unhappy workers. I think I moved the queen about a month ago in a split,oops. I did introduce a new queen but from what I've gathered from you all is that acceptance is unlikely. Now What do I do with this hive? I wish there were an easier way to learn, reading about something and seeing and doing the same thing is sometimes difficult.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Sounds like a Laying Worker situation to me. That's why they are so nasty.

If you can buy a nuc. That's what I would do. Assuming that this is the only colony of bees that you have.

Buy a nuc. Shake the bees off of the frames, one at a time, 10 or 20 feet away from in front of the hive. Install the nuc. The field bees will return to the hive. But most likely the laying worker won't. That's the theory anyway. It's worked for me.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I would move the split back to that hive stand (with a limb in front of the entrance). Then I would take that hive a couple of hundred feet away and shake it out. The queen in the split should be able to control the workers that show back up. Good ridence to the ones that don't make it back. Give the assets from the laying worker hive (honey, brood if any) to other hives. Next time make sure both splits have some eggs and open brood. That way no matter where the queen ends up, both hives have the assets to make a queen.

You can sometimes straighten out a laying worker hive by doing a newspaper combine with a queenright hive or nuc, but not always.

[ May 04, 2006, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Ross ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts