Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working in the garden today and my wife called from the back deck, "look behind you!". A tornado of bees. Must bee my first swarm.

3 seperate big balls of bees landed in a cherry tree a couple of feet away, plus a really large gathering at the base of the beehive.

Question: Is each cluster a seperate swarm with their own queen?

Do I put each cluster in a seperate box, or do I combine everything together?

Help!

·
Registered
298 Posts
My guess they are all the same swarm, just not consolidated into one. I don't think there would be mutiple queens in there, but even if there are and that is what is causing the mutiple balls, they are all most likly from the same hive.

I would put them all into the same box

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got most of them into a deep nuc. THere is still a small cluster on the cherry tree and a giant cluster in/on the cinder block hive stand. I reached into the cinder block holes and pulled out several handfuls (good thing for gloves!). Everything went into the same box. What if I got more than one queen? Will they have to fight it out?

So if I let the straglers re-group, I suppose I can get more tomorrow. How long will a cluster stay around before finding a new home? 1 day or 2?

Thnks.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"What if I got more than one queen? Will they have to fight it out?

So if I let the straglers re-group, I suppose I can get more tomorrow. How long will a cluster stay around before finding a new home? 1 day or 2?"
yes, the multiple queens will work it out. how long it takes for scouts to find a new home is imposible to say- one hour or one week.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is it normal to hive 2 or more swarms (with queen) from the same hive at the same time? I know last time I looked there were a lot of queen cells. Will bees cluster without a queen in the middle?

Maybe I should have waited to see if they formed one super gigantic cluster and retreived that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts