Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I got my first swarm call. They had been there sense Friday evening, and were in an old tractor tire. I was scoping/brushing bees and dumbing them in and in front of a deep hive body with frames of foundation. I did spray some sugar water with HBH. When I would dump the bees in front I could see many crawling in and some fanning. I got most of the bees out of the tire and they seemed to almost fill the box. I moved it to my apiary and when home. This morning the box was empty. Any Ideas on why they might have left for next time. It was a lot of work in 90+ temps plus a sting on the ankle, all for nothing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had this happen a couple of times even after adding a new queen.:doh:
My mentor suggested adding a queen excluder at the entrance for a week or more to let hem settle down. After trying that I have not lost any on the last twenty this year.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sometimes they decide not to stay. Don't take it personally. Unless you use a queen excluder as a queen includer so that she can't go anywhere (and it's still no guarantee that she won't be able to squeeze through.) This is something that is beyond your control and it's going to happen. I've had roughly 25% of the swarms I've caught abscond. At least I know they weren't killed by an exterminator. The other thing you can try is if you can spare a frame of comb with some brood they'll find it irresistible and stay.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Swarm lures also work well. Just hang the tube in the hive near the front entrance and leave it there for a week after you catch the swarm. I don't use drawn comb in my swarm boxes, just new wax foundation plus the swarm lure. Haven't lost any this year but did lose a couple last year before I started leaving the lures in. :D

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I had 3 swarms leave on me this year. Got to see them all leave. Re-caught one, put it in a 10 frame box, & sent it to a friends house about 5 miles away. They left his house the next day.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had a swarm abscond on me this summer. Got a call from the city about a swarm in front of a business. It was 15 - 20 feet up in a tree. The business owner was just plain weirded out about it. I didn't want to get it, but a neighbor helped me. The owner call the next day to complain that I didn't get them all and that there were dead bees in front of her business. Ugh!

I checked on them a few days later and they were gone. It happens.

Pugs

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try the frame of broad or queen excluder next time. On a positive note I noticed a lot of activity around some older boxes with drawn wax that I had stacked up. I took apart the stack and a swarm had moved in. Already had eggs and larva. I put on a bottom board and top and will move it tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts