Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to get the attendants out of the cage before introducing the queen? I made 2 splits yesterday and they have been queenless for that time.

What is the best way to get the attendants out?

thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It isn't necessary, but there is somewhat better acceptance without the attendants. I've done both successfully. Having 10 thumbs personally I'd leave them.

When placing the queen, place the cage by some of the bees in the hive, and see how they react. What you will probably see is the bees walking calmly over the cage in communication with the queen. If they react more violently(biteing), then you may want to remove the attendants and spray with some sugar water with honeybhealthy or a scent.

But with a split and queenless for a day it usually isn't an issue.

If you wish to remove the attendants, the two way that i've heard is
1. in a bathroom with a small window, they will fly for the window an that is where the queen will be if she escapes
2. in your bee veil so she can't fly away.

-rick

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I ordered 10 queens with attendants in a battery box. I got 10 queens with attendants, in a battery box. Please notice the comma.

I wanted the cage to contain only the queen. You can order them that way and they put the attendants outside the cage.

Anyway I went into the bathroom and opened 10 cages (by lifting up the wire) and tried to grab the queen as she emerged. 3 of them I snatched out of the air, a couple I picked off the wall and the rest I snagged as they left the cage. They can fly but slow and buzzy. I was desperate not to lose 1 in my laundry or somewhere. I bet I grabbed the same one out of the air 4 times. They are hardier than you think.

Dickm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts