Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second year and my first swarm. When I got home a few mintues ago I heard a roar. I looked up and the air was full of bees. Do I have a queen left in the hive? Should I order one in the morning. This is the second year for the bees.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If it was a swarm the old queen has gone. You will have several swarm queen cells that are just about to hatch. If you want to requenn with a new queen you should destroy those now, else let nature take it's course and allow the strongest of the new queens to kill the rivals and mate naturally.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Or find all of the queen cells and split them into nucs. Its a great way to make increases.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You sure it wasn't orientation? Roaring? Maybe the swarm I saw was small.
It looked a lot like a small tornado of bees.
If it was a swarm the hive (as said) will contain swarm cells about ready to go. I think it is 14 days from hatching the queen should be mated and laying./?
The best queen/strongest queen might win or a not so good queen will win (and you will want to requeen). If it was survival of the fittest then all our hives would be corkers.

Mike

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Or find all of the queen cells and split them into nucs. Its a great way to make increases.

It's too late for that. You want to do that before your bees end up hanging in the trees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts