Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.... Ive made a mess... a big mess in the wifes kitchen.

How do you get beeswax out of cloth material like towels and pot/pans...
She not a very happy person right now.
If I put them in the dishwasher and clothes washer will the drains get plugged up with wax ?

·
Registered
490 Posts
No, the drains will not get plugged if you did not throw comb down the drain.

Pots and pans can be washed after you wipe up all the wax you can. Heat them, wipe them dry with paper towels, then wash with dishwasher detergent. Hot water and ammonia works too.

I can get wax out of work clothes, but I am not about to get you in deeper treouble by telling you how to clean a tablecloth.

Next time use some junk store utensils dedicated to wax working.
Ox

·
Registered
85 Posts
boy am I glad to read this, not for your sake (believe me I sympathize with your pain), but I am just glad that someone else is feeling the wrath of the woman of the house

If it was me.........I wouldn't worry, she is either going to forgive you in a day or so, or grow old and forget about it

Wax on a cloth or two, thats nothing. One Saturday afternoon I came home to find the nice venison roast I had made competing with something that my wife had made for the supper table. when I asked her why she was cooking she replied that she didn't want the venison that I made.( it took me all morning to prepare this) As soon as she left the kitchen I threw her supper out (I was figuring that if she didn't like what I cooked, she could go hungry). You want to see mad
. I haven't repeated that stunt since, but I got my point across
She was over it in another day or so. I wouldn't worry to much if I were you,wives eventually come around

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL... NHbees....boy... cant imagine doing that

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The wax will eventually come off the pans, but even if you cooked in them with a little wax on them, it's not like it's not edible. Put water in them and boil. Pour it out and wipe it down with a paper towel. I don't have a dishwasher, but I'm sure it won't hurt.

I have never tried getting wax out of cloth, but I can't say it can't be done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are several products made specificly for getting wax out of cloth. CHeck in one of the larger stores in your area. I don't know if you have to treat the wax by hand or if its something you throw in the washer, never needed it myself.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone..

Ill give those ideas a try

·
Registered
764 Posts
one way that might work is to place a paper towel over the cloth where the wax is, and then iron overtop the paper towel. The iron will melt the wax and the paper towel will soak up the melted wax. Works on carpets too

·
Registered
222 Posts
The best way to get wax out of cloth is to use an iron on a setting just hot enought to melt the wax. You put the table cloth on an ironing board, then you put a paper towel over the wax, then run the warm iron over the paper towel, keep moving the paper towel till all the wax is gone. The iron melts the wax, and the paper towel sokes it up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey sorry Branman, I should learn to read all the posts before I start to run at the mouth, so yea, do what he said !!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Oregonspike, my wife wanted to know if you were serious..
I feel for you, my best bit of advice is to go to the local Goodwill and pick up some rags and pots/pans just for the honey process, then take the wife to the OUTBACK resterunt for dinner, it pays to keep her happy, especially after making a mess in the kitchen. If that fails, I'll try to find the # for DR Kavorikian.

------------------
'WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES WE ALL LOOK THE SAME' GWPW 03

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone.

Im sure the wife will forgive me(eventually). Never thought about the mess, I was so excited to get he honey and beeswax.

Its a good lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi OS,

Don't even bother trying to get the wax out of the cloth. Write it off and let (or get) your wife a new set.

Replace the common kitchen utensils also. Keep the old ones for next year.

Make amends fast!

Regards
Dennis
Knowing in my case that time has only brought out the finer points of my deficiences missed when my wife was younger. :> )

·
Banned
182 Posts
Go to a garage sale and get your own bee stuff. I made your mistake once. Now I have my own and better then hers. $1 per kettle.

NHbees. You best hope she hasn't heard of Bobick.

·
Registered
476 Posts
a drycleaner can probably take the wax out. my wife get's candle wax out of tableclothes all the time, can't seem to have candles on the table without someone knocking them over and spilling wax. I know she irons it out of some of them, a dip in boiling water might get some of it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts