Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once my deep 10 frame is drawn out should i do another deep or a medium? I cant decide. Ive heard a medium and a deep in Arkansas is all I need but we had 7 degree lows the last winter and lots of folks lost their bees. So am i going to have a stronger colony with two deeps or does it really matter? I have the equipment for either so it doesnt really matter.

BTW 3rd week after adding a package. I have brood, pollen, larve, eggs and some capped honey. Still about 4 of the frames are not drawn out. Should i just wait them out and they will do it or are they a little slow? Been beeding 1:1 and HBH since i added the package.
thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here in east ky, I went with two deeps last year. I had one hive that issues all year that just filled up a single deep. I had a couple of hives that didn't make it this spring due to not being able to break cluster. They were lower in a valley than the others. The single deep pulled through just fine. I am going to try a deep and a medium on the packages I started from there splits. They are also going higher on the hill this winter. Trial and erro I guess. You could try one of each and see. Both ways have advantages for me.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would wait until atleast 8 frames are drawn out before adding anything! Once you add they will move up and not fill them undrawn frames. Once they filled atleast 8 frames you can take the outter frames that they did not draw out and rotate them inward! They say 4-5 weeks but you cant rush the ladies specially if they are doing what they are suppose to be doing. Its not a race, take this time to enjoy them and decide which box you would like to add when they catch up to you!...hahaha Myself im gonna add another deep hive body on both hives! Im not exspecting alot on my inspection here soon cause ky has had alot of bad weather here lately..Good Luck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts