Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in South Texas. Temp is currently 82, but its raining.

I did a cutout 3 weeks ago, and the bees seemed fine. Put them in a TBH Nuc. Fed for a couple days

I just got back from a trip and every bee is dead except the queen. I dont know when she last ate.

Should I just put some capped brood and honey bars from other hives and put in hive with her?

Should I keep her caged in the queen catcher for a day or two?

Never been in this situation.

Thanks!!

TxBeek

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you have the needed resources w/o putting another hive at risk, then I would cage her & make up a nuc, let them get used to her then release her. JMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So what are the necessary resources - how many bars of brood, honey, pollen??

Is this a today emergency even in the rain, or should I wait to open other hives untill it stops raining? If wait, say till tomorrow, do I just keep her in the queen clip in my house, or in the empty TBH with no bees?

Thanks

TxBeek

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, it will be iffy for her in the hive. I would say queen clip and possibly a drop of water and a drop of honey in a dark cupboard.

See if you can figure out what did your bees in so that the replacements don't suffer the same fate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the queen has no bees to feed her and she can't get to any food herself, she will die.

Bees only rest a few seconds at a time. They are active 24 hrs a day, so they need to eat 24 hrs a day.

Maybe if you had a frame that had bees actually hatching out you could shake all others off and add to the topbar.

Are there any eggs with her or brood?

Most likely you've lost her.

Goodluck

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put 2 bars of partially capped honey and two bars of some capped brood, some pollen, and some honey. And all the nurse bees and workers on the bars. Put the queen clip under the first bar which is empty. The bees immediately went to her cage and many others started fanning. Don't know if they went to kill her or feed her. Guess I will know tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. Will post the results.

TxBeek

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used some galvanized hardware cloth bent in a L shape along the edge of the top bar to hold the cutout comb close to the bar so the bees could reattach. I'm wondering if the workers died of zinc poisoning or something else from the galvanization. It was d recycled cage wire. None is now in the hive with the queen or new bees.

Anyone want some dead bees for an autopsy to determine why they died;)

TxBeek

·
Registered
128 Posts
The fanning is a positive note.
If the attendant bees are not trying to bite thru the cage she should be ok.
Sounds like you are set.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is in a queen clip, not a cage. So the workers can get in with her. If they mean her harm, she's toast. If they do kill her, im going to stick her in a small vial of everclear and use her excretions as bait hive lure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Now I'm confused.
I thought you segregated her to keep her safe, not to make her easy to find when they killed her.
If she can't do her job they might not accept her.
I'd suggest letting her out very soon.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have a queen cage, so i used a queen clip to keep track of her while i cleaned out the hive, and moved top bars.

But I guess I got lucky. I just went out there tonight and she was alive, so I released her. I guess the transferred bees accepted her.

TxBeek

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Don't forget to feed them patty and syrup too. They needed all the resources to build up
into a healthy hive. Yes, you are lucky or should I say the queen was lucky this time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts